Old 19-02-2003, 09:15 AM
Susan Erickson

Default Beginner seeks advice on orchid plants, books, fertilizing, growing medium .....

On Tue, 18 Feb 2003 23:25:59 -0500, Tessmann
wrote:

Any help, advise, etc. will be appreciated.

We all love Rob's Rules and Yes Hal, Orchids are not a hobby they
are an Addiction.

I saw this in another posting and thought it was funny. After looking
at his site, I decided it might become an addiction.

2a. See rule 1
3) When one has insufficient credit to purchase more orchids, obtain

more credit

Hal Tessmann

Books:
Visit your local Library. I am sure there are several books
there. One likely author candidate is Rebecca Northern, I don't
have the proper titles but she wrote one on Miniature's and
another on Orchids as House Plants. But there should be others.

As a cheap Buy - Sunset, Ortho and others have a books labeled
something like Orchids for Beginners. OR just ORCHIDS.
Look thru them. Does the use of language and the photos help or
confuse you? Some times an author knows his/her subject too well
and skips the "obvious," which is just the step the beginner
needed to learn.

Plants:
Mini-Cattleya grow in less light than full size Catts. There
are Dendrobiums, Epidendrums, Encyclia, Oncidiums, Slippers -
called Paphiopedilums and Phragmipediums. Shop where you can
find plants in bloom. IF THIS is an orchid house - ask what they
need and how do I care for them? Can I grow under xyz.. And tell
them your conditions. How much are you willing to do to
accommodate these plants? Do you want to grow in your living
space or create a 'plant room,' do you have a greenhouse?
All considerations when we talk about what they need.

The biggest difference is the amount of light. Some need more
than others. Many like "intermediate" temperatures... what you
want to live with. They like a shift to cooler temp. at night, so
do most of us. Water - Less is always better than more. More
orchids and plants in general are drowned than dried out.

If you fertilize (weekly weakly or is that weakly weekly)
Remember to FLUSH the pot at least monthly. That is to say water
so heavily that you would wash out any residue build up with in
the pot. Also remember to DRAIN - Do not let the pots stand in
water.

SuE
Old 19-02-2003, 09:27 AM
Ray @ First Rays Orchids

Hal,

You have made several mistakes already, the most severe of which was buying
orchids in the first place! Your home will be overrun in no time. (Welcome
to the addiction!)

Rather than me reiterating a lot of stuff here, try pointing your browser to
http://www.firstrays.com/beginner.htm.

A couple of specifics for what you've described: while most hybrid
phalaenopsis like the same temperature, light, and humidity conditions,
those in moss will need an entirely different watering regimen than those in
bark-based media. Some folks have a miserable time with moss, as it holds
water really well, so they tend to waterlog their plants, leading to root
rot and plant loss. Just remember that the plants like to stay moderately
moist, but need a lot of air flow to the roots. I would suggest watching
that bit of your culture technique very closely, and decide what media
characteristics are right for you and your particular watering tendencies.

While Sue is right about the variety of stuff that can be grown in the
home - and she barely scraped the tip of the iceberg - I believe you are
doing the right thing by sticking to phals until you really understand
what's going on with orchid growing.

--

Ray Barkalow First Rays Orchids
http://www.firstrays.com

"Tessmann" wrote in message

I *finally* bought some orchid plants - something I've been wanting to
do for a long time. I live in Dearborn, MI, which is near Detroit. I
attended a seminar at a local gardening store and they had phalaenopsis
in a variety of different colors and patterns. They were buy one get
one free so I got four, and went back after they got another shipment
and got six more. My wife questioned my *sudden interest* but has
decided she likes the colors on several of them.

Most of them had at least one flower open and now they have three or
four open.

I started reading the orchid newsgroup and decided it's time to ask for
help.

What are good types (families) for beginners or should I focus on the
phalaenopsis until I have the hang of this? Anyone have any *baby*
plants they want to donate or sell?

I'm looking for recommendations on books for a beginning orchid grower.
Any suggestions will be appreciated. If you have some you've *outgrown*
and would like to sell, pls send title, price, etc.

Recommendations about fertilizing? At the seminar she said use high
nitrogen fertilizer in summer and high middle number in fall for
flowers. Also said use very weak strength and use at every watering.
When should I switch to fertilizer for flowers? Is it OK to fertilize
while they're flowering? Some of the hang tags say not to.

What's best growing medium? Most are in moss and two in bark.

Any help, advise, etc. will be appreciated.

P.S. Dan, I saw your posts so I included you in this. JUST GO FOR IT.
Get some with buds and give it a try.

Old 19-02-2003, 03:39 PM
Wendy

Oh Hal,
Don't go to any orchid society meetings!
Don't use Google to search for the word Orchid!
Don't go to the library or bookstores & browse!
It's too late! You've got orchid fever!
*G*
Welcome, our group is a good start, great people & info.
You sound just like me, I started with 2 & in 1 year, I had 1000!
The 1st most common mistake is overwatering & letting the plant sit in a
saucer with water.
You need sun light (not direct) air & humidity.
My 2 cents..........
Cheers Wendy

Old 19-02-2003, 10:16 PM
Fred Garvin

On Tue, 18 Feb 2003 23:25:59 -0500, Tessmann wrote:

I *finally* bought some orchid plants - something I've been wanting to do
for a long time. I live in Dearborn, MI, which is near Detroit. I
attended a seminar at a local gardening store and they had phalaenopsis
in a variety of different colors and patterns. They were buy one get one
free so I got four, and went back after they got another shipment and got
six more. My wife questioned my *sudden interest* but has decided she
likes the colors on several of them.

You're already hooked I see!Phals are a great beginner's orchid.

Most of them had at least one flower open and now they have three or four
open.

I started reading the orchid newsgroup and decided it's time to ask for
help.

What are good types (families) for beginners or should I focus on the
phalaenopsis until I have the hang of this? Anyone have any *baby*
plants they want to donate or sell?

Phals, you picked a good type!

I'm looking for recommendations on books for a beginning orchid grower.
Any suggestions will be appreciated. If you have some you've *outgrown*
and would like to sell, pls send title, price, etc.

Ortho's All about orchids is very good.

Recommendations about fertilizing? At the seminar she said use high
nitrogen fertilizer in summer and high middle number in fall for flowers.
Also said use very weak strength and use at every watering. When should
I switch to fertilizer for flowers? Is it OK to fertilize while they're
flowering? Some of the hang tags say not to.

I fertilize every other watering with a half strength orchid food.
Don't go nuts with different fertilizers, stick with one all year IMHO.
You'll hear about people using Epson salts, don't bother. USe a well
balanced fertilizer and that's all you need.

What's best growing medium? Most are in moss and two in bark.

Both are good, I prefer bark. Each require a different watering
regimen. Water well when *almost* dry. Don't allow them to completely dry
out though.

Enjoy your orchids!