Old 08-09-2007, 09:04 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

Default Phaleonopsis growing new leaves on spikes?

I saw the strangest thing today At least, it was strange to me.
My frind has a florist store special. One of those generic plain jane white,
with purple throat Phals orchid sold in every flower store and grocery store
around the country. A couple of months ago it was blooming. The spike
looked like it was not putting anymore buds out, si Advised her to cut it
back to just above the second bud union after the last bloom falls. She
did.

Now she has a a leaf growing out of each bud union, and one of the leaves
has a spike growing out of the center with a tiny bud. I assume these will
eventually grow roots and can be cut, then potted?

Old 08-09-2007, 09:02 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

If the new flower stem (inflorescence) is coming from where the new leaves
orginate or come out (and from your description it sounds like that) that
keikie won't survive because it won't be able to grow new leaves. Phals
normally have the inflorescence start below the top leaves. This only applys
to Phals. as far as I know and is not often seen.

Bob

. ..

Old 10-09-2007, 12:59 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

The kiekie is not unusual but it sounds like where the spike is originating
is unusual.

Is there any chance of a picture? If so post it to
alt.binaries.pictures.orchids or post it somewhere else and give us a link
to go to.

Bob
news

Old 11-09-2007, 04:15 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

The photos are the last three at
http://home.roadrunner.com/~katkom/H...ids/index.html

Learn something everyday. I always thought Keiki's were of the Basal variety
until made me read a bit more on them.

"Bob Walsh" wrote in message
. ..
The kiekie is not unusual but it sounds like where the spike is
originating is unusual.

Is there any chance of a picture? If so post it to
alt.binaries.pictures.orchids or post it somewhere else and give us a link
to go to.

Bob
news

Old 11-09-2007, 05:34 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

The bud is before the spike, not from where the leaf comes out. Should be no
problems.

Generally the advice is the leave on the 'mother' plant until the roots are
at least a cumulative 3" long. Some will bend the spike down when the roots
get going and pot it in a small pot without removing it from the spike,
others leave it on the plant indefinitely. I haven't tried any of these
myself.

Bob

"BruceM" wrote in message
The photos are the last three at
http://home.roadrunner.com/~katkom/H...ids/index.html

Learn something everyday. I always thought Keiki's were of the Basal
variety until made me read a bit more on them.

"Bob Walsh" wrote in message
. ..
The kiekie is not unusual but it sounds like where the spike is
originating is unusual.

Is there any chance of a picture? If so post it to
alt.binaries.pictures.orchids or post it somewhere else and give us a
link to go to.

Bob
news