Old 16-07-2008, 01:13 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

Default Test for Gene

Since we've had the rug pulled out from under us and no way of fixing it, we
need to look for alternate solutions.
1. Some foresighted member can make a new site so we can talk and post as we
have in the past This would take time and money. I don't think most of us
would mind contributing to a good cause.
2. We all upload to our favorite picture site and post links to rec.orchids
which will probably be gone in a year or so and we'll be right back where we
were. Let's face it. All these do-good things the Big-ISPs do is feel-good
comunnity contribution and really doesn't make them any money or get them
any good press.
3. We can all hope Kye is a step ahead of us and things will be fine in a
week to so. It takes a lot of time to put one of these together. Oh, and did
I say money?
4. If we continue to not hear from Kye, we can all kiss each other on the
cheek and say "Nice knowing you. See you sometime soon."
Is there someone with the experience willing to put a site together with
community support?
Gary

"Diana Kulaga" wrote in message
Try this.

Diana

Old 16-07-2008, 09:27 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

In order:

1. Chris has mentioned the possibility of a new site. But do we really need
it?

2. The *post elsewhere and link here* option is a good idea and has been
mentioned several times.

3. I have faith in Kye. And he does have a *real job*, so I'm willing to
wait.

4. Kiss each other goodbye? Lousy option, IMNSHO. There is too much to be
learned and enjoyed in a community that has cohesed as we have.

5. A fifth option is to join one of the other orchid sites. I'm forgetting
the name of the site now, but there is one run by someone called Marty, I
believe. I have gone there rarely.

For the time being, I vote for option #2. If it ever stops raining here I'll
take some pictures and start posting.

Diana

Old 16-07-2008, 09:40 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

Well I haven't been affected yet, with Cox, guess it's just a matter of
time.
I still think this is a greediness for the not so almighty dollar!
Gary have you noticed anyone in your other NewsGroups that
have mentioned this or been affected? I have two other alt.binaries
groups & there has been no mention of it that I am aware of.

I will wait for Kye he will come through and in the mean time
we can still chat here.
Cheers Wendy

Old 16-07-2008, 10:30 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

Wendy, if you are still getting to the binaries groups that's great. As for
your other two groups, how would you know if someone got knocked off? The
reason we all know what's going on and who has been affected is that we have
two groups, and all of us can still get to rgo.

Yeesh, it feels like we're in the French Resistance or something!

Diana

Old 17-07-2008, 12:33 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

Yes, Wendy, all the alt.binary Newsgroups are gone. It wasn't selective on
abpo. The rec.gardens newsgroups are fine. So when Cox decides to join the
pack all the abp newsgroups will disappear.
Gary

Old 17-07-2008, 01:04 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

1&3 may actually be the same thing. If Kye "fixes" things, it won't be on
abpo. I believe it will have to be in the form of a new web site kind of in
the format of some of the many "forums" now online. I believe #2 is a good
idea as a temporary solution but it's too tentative. One of these days
rec.gardens.orchids will disappear the same way abpo did and where will we
be then? One of us will have to act as a central posting site and then we're
back to #1. I agree with you on #4. I was just being a bit glum thinking
about this whole thing, like you, having had the rug pulling out from under
me. I came into the group while Kye was still posting a couple of years ago.
Recently he's been inactive which brings out the pessimism in me. Some of
the newsfeeds like Motzarella which feeds all newsgroups or an English site
the feeds just gardening newsgoups (.rec and .alt groups) are viable
alternatives. You have to get used to new formats but they work just like
bellsouth newsfeeds did (do). It's not the site that makes the group, it's
the people. So no matter how you get to the newsgroups we can still be the
community we are now. We just all have to get there. The ISPs have just
broken up our way to the meetingplace, not the meetingplace..If someone
finds the "best" way please let us all know.

Old 17-07-2008, 01:53 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

Gary,

I am still here and working actively on this issue, but am having to pull a
large amount of overtime right now to get keep things rolling....

And no, my solution will be a newsgroup based solution.

Kye.

Old 17-07-2008, 02:14 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

Actually, what Kye is working on is a private server that will allow us to
go to abpo. (See his post below for confirmation.) Meanwhile, let's post at
free photo share sites and keep in touch.

And just maybe it would be a good idea if someone were to get all the email
addies from abpo and rgo so that we can, indeed, reconnect if *all* the rugs
are pulled out. I would volunteer to keep those email addies in a group that
I could then contact if we get broken up without notice.

I know how pessimistic you must feel. It's a little bit of a jolt to the
system. No, a big jolt.

Hey! We are family!!

Diana

Old 17-07-2008, 11:40 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

I'm not fond of the "post a link" option.

Most picture-posting sites are rather cludgy to move around in, and as they
require that you load a browser to view them while attempting to have your
discussion here, are FAR less convenient.

As far as another site that allows both, you'd have to find one that allows
uploads. Most forums require the URL of a photo in order to view it, which
is better than posting a link, but is an extra step, therefore a hurdle.
The Orchid Source forum is one site that does allow uploads, but storing
photos takes up room, so becomes expensive, and while it may be voluntary,
regular participants SHOULD contribute.

Old 17-07-2008, 11:44 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

It wouldn't surprise me for an instant if the ISP's are using the porn
excuse to cut back on infrastructure. The fact that the internet porn
industry flourishes is a sure sign they don't have any morals on the
subject. "We just run computers..."

Old 17-07-2008, 01:23 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

Thank you so much for clearing up all my speculation, fears, and turmoil
caused by my reation to this latest ploy of the big ISPs to cast off any of
the time, energy, and responsibility spent on supplying customer interaction
which doesn't build cash assets. I should have listened to those who knew
you better than I did. Since you have been involved in your real job which
is obviously more important it kept you from posting here. I was trying to
be more proactive in the absence of information from you and others. I wish
you had just dropped a public note earlier and I would have been more than
content to let you handle things. I didn't even think of Ray's idea of an
nntp server handling a single newsgroup. Anyway, thanks for everything. God
bless.
Gary

"v_coerulea" wrote in message
[...]

Test for Gene Diana Kulaga[_5_] Orchids 10 16-07-2008 03:37 AM
Test for Gene Gene Schurg[_2_] Orchids 0 16-07-2008 02:45 AM
Test for Gene v_coerulea Orchids 1 16-07-2008 12:11 AM
Test for Gene v_coerulea Orchids 0 15-07-2008 11:38 PM
I give up Gene, how do I do that Boystrup Pb, ann,... Orchids 1 23-09-2003 10:02 PM