Old 19-07-2008, 06:20 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

Default Oncidium question

I bought an oncidium. According to "Understanding Orchids", it's an
oncidium Pokie "Leuticke's Choice". It does not say what category of
oncidium it is. I probably shouldn't have bought it since I've had
problems with oncidium not blooming before. I just couldn't resist
the small, bright yellow flowers with their burnt orange centers.

The only place I can put it is with my phals. It will get very
bright, filtered morning sun. The phals love it there. What are my
chances for the oncidium?

When should I repot it? There are long, very fine brown roots
sticking out of the holes in the pot. These roots appear to be dead.
The pot is about 3" and the plant is in bloom with many buds. I'd
like to put off repotting while it's in bloom if possible.

Help would be appreciated.

How did I go from one orchid to nine in less than a year?? I guess
I'm hooked.

Thanks

Jane
Old 19-07-2008, 06:34 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

No offense Jane, but only 9 in a whole year? You're lagging WAY behind on
the true addiction.

Oncidium Pokie has four species in its background - forbesii, varicosum,
crispum, and marshallianum. As such, it can handle dappled light, but
should be grown on the cool side.

Old 20-07-2008, 12:43 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

--

Ray Barkalow - First Rays Orchids -www.firstrays.com

"Jane" wrote in message

[...]

Thanks.

My addiction is controlled by lack of space. My husband is grateful.
Old 20-07-2008, 04:25 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

Jane wrote:
I bought an oncidium. According to "Understanding Orchids", it's an
oncidium Pokie "Leuticke's Choice".

Hi Jane. Is "Understanding Orchids" a book? If I'm understanding you
correctly and you have identified your plant's name by matching it to a
picture in a book, I would bet the farm that you have chosen the wrong
name. There may be a hundred other Oncidium crosses that match the
picture in the book equally well. (If your plant came with a tag, that's
another story.)

How did I go from one orchid to nine in less than a year?? I guess
I'm hooked.

Yeah, probably.
You think now that your space is limited and you can't add very many
more. I used to think that. Then I made a nice shelf in my office that
fits a corner set of windows and I had room for several more. All set...
for a while. Then I turned on a set of 8 fluorescent tubes in the
basement. All the room I would ever need... until I needed to add a 400
W Metal Halide bulb and some more fluorescents. 12 tubes this time. Then
the 800 W combo light...

Steve
Old 20-07-2008, 02:58 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

On Jul 19, 11:25 pm, Steve wrote:
Jane wrote:
[...]

You loose. I'll tell you where to send the farm.

Yes, "Understanding Orchids" is a book. There is a full color photo
of the exact oncidium that I have. That's how I found the name.

Picture of it he

http://home.comcast.net/~jbcamel/oncidium.jpg

Old 20-07-2008, 04:21 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

Sorry, Jane. You're the one that lost the bet, I'm afraid.

There are SO many yellow oncidium hybrids, that it is unlikely you will get
a valid ID from a photo. As examples:

Oncidium Aloha Iwanaga
http://www.firstrays.com/Pictures_or...ha_Iwanaga.jpg

Oncidium (Java x Bijou)
http://www.firstrays.com/Pictures_or...x%20Bijou).jpg

Oncidium Sweet Sugar
http://www.easyorchids.co.uk/shop/images/T/t_16434.jpg
and
http://www.chadwickorchids.com/Shopp...weetsugar2.jpg

and the old classic Oncidium Gower Ramsay
http://www.merklesorchids.com/1Image...wer_ramsey.jpg

Old 20-07-2008, 06:08 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

Oncidium Aloha Iwanagahttp://www.firstrays.com/Pictures_orchids/Oncidium_Aloha_Iwanaga.jpg

Oncidium (Java x Bijou)http://www.firstrays.com/Pictures_or...ava%20x%20Bijo...

Oncidium Sweet Sugarhttp://www.easyorchids.co.uk/shop/images/T/t_16434.jpg
andhttp://www.chadwickorchids.com/ShoppingImages/onc_sweetsugar2.jpg

and the old classic Oncidium Gower Ramsayhttp://www.merklesorchids.com/1Images/8JPEGS/oncidium_gower_ramsey.jpg

--

"Jane" wrote in message

On Jul 19, 11:25 pm, Steve wrote:
Jane wrote:
[...]

Damn - I hate it when that happens!

Well, seeing my photo - what strain of oncidium do you think they are?

Old 20-07-2008, 07:58 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

"Jane" wrote in message

On Jul 19, 11:25 pm, Steve wrote:
Jane wrote:
[...]

In general can I treat it the way I do my phals? I water when the
plant is dry and I use orchid fertilizer every time.
Old 21-07-2008, 02:12 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

"Jane" wrote in message
On Jul 19, 11:25 pm, Steve wrote:
Jane wrote:
[...]

You could probably do that and have a good chance of getting it to grow
and bloom. Ideally, compared to a Phal, an Oncidium would like a little
more light and would like to get a little dryer before you water again.
If you fertilize every time you would want to be sure and use a pretty
dilute fertilizer solution, like maybe 1/4 teaspoon per gallon,
depending on how strong the fertilizer starts out. You would also want
to flush out the pots with plain water once in a while. At least once a
month if your water has lots of minerals. Maybe less often if your water
is very pure.

Steve

Old 22-07-2008, 01:28 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

"Jane" wrote in message
On Jul 19, 11:25 pm, Steve wrote:
Jane wrote:
[...]

Have to admit I don't flush out the pots. I've read this before. I
do change the potting mixture every time they finish blooming and they
seem to thrive so maybe that does the trick.

The fertilizer I use calls for 1/4 tspn per gallon. At that rate the
bottle I bought will last about 100 years.
Old 20-05-2011, 06:15 PM
Registered User

I bought an oncidium. According to "Understanding Orchids", it's an oncidium Pokie "Leuticke's Choice". It does not say what class of oncidium it is. I apparently shouldn't accept bought it back I've had problems with oncidium not blooming before. I just couldn't resist the small, ablaze chicken flowers with their burnt orange centers.
LED Grow Lights

rookie oncidium question eeyore Orchids 2 06-10-2007 08:25 PM
Oncidium question Jane Orchids 3 25-04-2007 10:31 PM
Question about Oncidium! Claude Orchids 1 19-02-2004 02:54 AM
Question about Oncidium! Claude Orchids 0 19-02-2004 02:22 AM
Cold tolerance of Oncidium Sharry Baby Wink Orchids 13 13-03-2003 12:45 AM