Old 27-10-2008, 08:14 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

Default Have we given up?

hmm. when i read this thread on a real live newsreader, there are
some 10 replies. here on dejagoogle, there are

three.

this could be problematic......

--j_a
Old 27-10-2008, 09:28 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

Default Have we given up? - a cheap access provider

Good to know, Chuck. Thanks.

"C. Berlin" wrote in message
ster.com...
usenetmonster.com is much cheaper than giganews, only $3/month, and has
worked flawlessly for me. One quirk with this provider: they have two
servers you can access. The news.usenetmonster.com server was slow for
me; the bignews.usenetmonster.com server is very fast. They have a very
easy to follow instruction guide on their website as to how to set this
up, and the one email question I sent was answered the next day. I'd been
with giganews after verizon dropped newsgroups, but didn't like their high
monthly fee so switched to usenetmonster. It accesses all the orchid
groups and everything else, accepts binary pictures, etc.
Chuck B.

"Diana Kulaga" wrote in message
. ..
Guess I'd better look into Giganews, and figure out how to use it. What's
the other one? Terranews?

Old 28-10-2008, 01:44 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

On Oct 27, 4:14*pm, wrote:
hmm. *when i read this thread on a real live newsreader, there are
some 10 replies. *here on dejagoogle, there are

three.

this could be problematic......

--j_a

---and now there are 16. oi.

as for the giganews thing--no, i don't think we're paying. i think my
housemate (the resident geek) downloaded a copy for free when i asked
for a newsreader.

--j_a
Old 28-10-2008, 07:50 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

Wendy7 wrote:
I could!! I could!! Seems like I am the only one there anymore?
Cheers Wendy (Who misses everyone!)

Check again, Wendy! I just posted another pic.
Old 28-10-2008, 09:11 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

On Oct 28, 1:01*pm, Steve wrote:

Giganews isn't a news reader, it's a news server. You need to pay to
access their server, unless your housemate figured out a way to hack
into it.

-pondering- maybe it came free with the level of service we had when
we signed up. it's certainly not on the bill. the machine connects
to something like "newsgroups.comcast.net" to download the groups.

and the newsreader is mt-newswatcher, now that i think about it. but
i'm told that giganews is in there somewhere.

or maybe it will all be gone next time i get on the machine at
home.

i note that newzbot no longer has this group available to read.

--j_a

Old 29-10-2008, 12:52 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

aaaand spoke too soon--the cr@p has now shut down the feed. off
to look for the cheese.

--j_a

Old 29-10-2008, 02:35 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

On Oct 28, 10:17*pm, Steve wrote:

Uh-Oh... That certainly isn't Giganews.
Back in the good old days, before Adelphia folded, they actually
contracted with Giganews to provide their newsgroup service (at no extra
charge). That was nice while it lasted.

yes, i think that's what the 'cr@p did back in the day too, and then
migrated it over.

oh well, i fiddled with motz last night a bit and then the housemate
said he got it working, so we shall see...

--j_a
Old 29-10-2008, 11:32 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

testing testing...

move along, nothing to see here...

--j_a
Old 29-10-2008, 11:44 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

tenman wrote:
Wendy7 wrote:
I could!! I could!! Seems like I am the only one there anymore?
Cheers Wendy (Who misses everyone!)

Check again, Wendy! I just posted another pic.

Hi Tennis,
I couldn't see your post on ABPO, but that's expected because I'm using
Motzarella. Those of us using that (free) service can post with or
without pictures and receive all the posts that include no picture. On
rare occasions we see pictures from other news servers.
Other than you saying so here, I wouldn't have a clue that you posted
anything there until Tom replied. I could see the link to the picture on
the web site in his reply.
Beautiful flower, by the way! :-)

Steve

PS Our power went off for a minute just as I finished typing the above.
I saved this and started...............

PPS Everything above was written on Tuesday evening. Now, Wednesday
evening, I will continue....
As I was saying, the power went off. Battery backup let me save what I
was doing. I sat there wondering (for just a moment) whether to leave
the computer on and let the glow from the monitor help me find my way to
find a flashlight. Before I decided, the power came back on. I found a
flashlight and put it in my pocket. I started to write the PS and it
went off again. I shut down the computer and it came back on for 30
seconds then went off for good. Power was off from 10:45 until 3:30 AM
or so. We had snow and high winds. It snowed all night and continued
with light snow all day today. Over a foot of snow in October. Go figure.

Steve (in the Adirondacks...of course)