Coconut Husk Chips

Old 14-11-2008, 04:27 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

Default Coconut Husk Chips

This is a follow up to a question I had back at the end of September.
I was looking for the Crystal Company, which I remembered used to
advertise in Orchids magazine selling bales of CHC.
After some help here, I found their web site and e-mail address. The web
site showed the product but showed no prices or any way to order it. I
sent an e-mail to inquire. No response was ever received.
At that point, I sent an e-mail to Roberts Flower Supply and got a reply
within hours. I had ordered from them the last time I bought a full bale
of CHC but I wanted to compare prices. I placed the order and their
service was very good. Just thought I would report.

Steve
Old 14-11-2008, 04:49 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

Steve wrote:

This is a follow up to a question I had back at the end of September.
I was looking for the Crystal Company, which I remembered used to
advertise in Orchids magazine selling bales of CHC.
After some help here, I found their web site and e-mail address. The web
site showed the product but showed no prices or any way to order it. I
sent an e-mail to inquire. No response was ever received.
At that point, I sent an e-mail to Roberts Flower Supply and got a reply
within hours. I had ordered from them the last time I bought a full bale
of CHC but I wanted to compare prices. I placed the order and their
service was very good. Just thought I would report.

Steve

Yes, Wayne (Roberts) is good, and I have been buying from him for many
years. I did notice that the CHC I get now is not of the same quality or
uniformity I got a few years back, but I see the same thing in it from
every source I find, so I think it's just what there is no matter where
you get it.
Old 14-11-2008, 06:30 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

tenman wrote:
Steve wrote:

[...]

I noticed the difference too. Before it was nice clean chunks. Now they
are more ragged and more loose fibers. I'm expecting my plants to not
care much.

Old 26-12-2008, 03:33 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

I think someone invested the money to purchase the machines to chop up
the CHC but now the blades have worn out and they are too cheap to buy
new ones. (Just a wild guess)