Old 04-02-2009, 05:16 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

Default Any precautions/tips; preventing cold damage?

We're expecting 32° here in western Palm Beach county Thursday
morning. All my loved ones are on the patio (southern exposure) somewhat
protected from wind. Should I drop everything that's hanging and cover
with cloth...?

Thanks,

John

Old 04-02-2009, 07:12 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

John Benedict wrote:
We're expecting 32° here in western Palm Beach county Thursday
morning. All my loved ones are on the patio (southern exposure) somewhat
protected from wind. Should I drop everything that's hanging and cover
with cloth...?

Thanks,

John

I would suggest plastic, weighted down against the wind and some sort of
heat. For heat, the amount required would vary depending on the area to
be warmed. I have used:

tub of warm water on top of a waterbed heater (and a fan to circulate)
set at its highest setting; air blown in from the house through a 5"
plastic tube (flexible black drainage stuff); one or more incandescent
light bulbs (60W) - provided you keep them from starting a fire - they
actually put out quite a bit of heat.

Of course if this is adjacent to a window that could be added to the
covered area, a fan in the window (as long as there is a little room for
air to return beside it so you don't blow the cover off) would be great.

IF it stays cold for a while, simply covering won't be enough for things
that don't want to be below 50 degrees F.

Meanwhile don't water anything. Usually cold is handled best when plants
are drier.
Old 04-02-2009, 01:33 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

Thanks... I plan on keeping everything dry, though, of course, I will be
taking the more delicate inside.

Thanks, again,

John

Old 04-02-2009, 02:29 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

John Benedict wrote:
We're expecting 32° here in western Palm Beach county Thursday
morning. All my loved ones are on the patio (southern exposure) somewhat
protected from wind. Should I drop everything that's hanging and cover
with cloth...?

Thanks,

John

I am quite sure that a 32F night will damage the Phals since it did
happen to me.

I think it would be safe to move all of them inside the house for a day
or two.
Old 04-02-2009, 08:29 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

Thanks. I'll be sure do that.

John

Old 05-02-2009, 02:03 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

John, Vandas go inside first. Whatever you can bring inside, do. What we
couldn't bring inside (not much), we put up against the house and covered
with comforters. The lights will stay on for the night.

Diana, in Port St. Lucie living in an indoor orchid jungle at the moment.

"John Benedict" wrote in message
Thanks. I'll be sure do that.

John