Old 08-02-2009, 06:45 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

Default No one from Victoria?

I don't think any of us are from Victoria, Australia...Reiner may be... but
I think he's from the eastern side of Victoria. I read the fire reports and
it just sounds grim. Anything you can say is an understatement.

Fingers crossed for one and all

K Barrett

Old 09-02-2009, 10:50 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

"K Barrett" wrote in message

I don't think any of us are from Victoria, Australia...Reiner may be... but
I think he's from the eastern side of Victoria. *I read the fire reports
and it just sounds grim. Anything you can say is an understatement.

Fingers crossed for one and all

K Barrett- Hide quoted text -

I've heard from two people who are OK. They say teh summer's heat is
tremendous, 47C is what? 117F? Sure, it gets hot & dry here but
nothing like that. Earlier in teh season John V was looking for ways
to reduce water and still keep his collection alive, but I guess I
didn't understand just how bad his/their drought is. I guess many
collections (to bring this back on topic, away from people and back to
orchids) are suffering.

All in all I can't think of a worse fire. We burned this summer but
mostly it was rangeland (not counting San Diego). Some fires went on
for weeks (big Sur) but again not much out there, not like this.

K Barrett
Old 10-02-2009, 12:24 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

Hi all

I posted this yesterday on OGD in response to Kathy's posting there.

"Thanks for your thoughts. I don't know of anyone from the orchid community
here who has been affected but I'll know more tonight when I attend the
Orchid Species mtg here in Melbourne. The current death toll is more than
130 and expected to rise significantly as the authorities move into the
burnt out areas. There are also severely burnt people in hospitals.

http://www.theage.com.au/national/bu...0209-81ue.html

The fires are still raging out of control and more towns are threatened. At
least the temperatures have fallen which should aid the fire fighters.

The worst part is that police suspect at least half the fires were
deliberately lit. Considering we have had drought conditions for the past
10 years it borders on insanity."

Following the meeting last night it appears that no members of our Society
were directly affected but one member had to leave the meeting when he found
out that his daughter's best friend had died in the fires. A fern and
orchid nursery in the area of the fires seems to have escaped with minor
damage.

The number of lives lost now stands at 171 and is still expected to rise.

The current situation is that more towns are now being threatened as the
fires continues their ravaging.

John
Melbourne, Australia

Old 10-02-2009, 03:26 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

John, it is good to hear from you. Our deepest thoughts are with you, and
your country.

Thank you for responding, as I know many of us are thinking of all of you
and hoping for the best. How awful to be so close to someone who perished.

Diana

ster.com...

Old 10-02-2009, 11:51 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

On Feb 10, 10:24*am, "John Varigos"
wrote:
Hi all

I posted this yesterday on OGD in response to Kathy's posting there.

"Thanks for your thoughts. *I don't know of anyone from the orchid community
here who has been affected but I'll know more tonight when I attend the
Orchid Species mtg here in Melbourne. *

Hi John,
I don't know if you got Helene Wild's (ANOS) email. Eddie Sabljak's
house and Fernacres Nursery are OK. Helen and Barry Richards in Yarra
Glen had some property damage but the house is apparently OK.
Andrew Gibbons
Old 10-02-2009, 02:11 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

Hi Andrew
I didn't get Helene's e-mail but I was told last night at OSSV that Eddie
and Ferndale had escaped. Hadn't heard about Helen and Barry. Pleased to
hear they only had relatively minor damage. I trust everyone else out that
way is OK.
John

Old 11-02-2009, 03:04 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

On Feb 11, 12:11*am, "John Varigos"
wrote:
Hi Andrew
I didn't get Helene's e-mail but I was told last night at OSSV that Eddie
and Ferndale had escaped. *Hadn't heard about Helen and Barry. *Pleased to
hear they only had relatively minor damage. *I trust everyone else out that
way is OK.
John

Other than Helene's son, who's house in Kinglake had a bit of fire
damage but otherwise survived, those ANOS members who Helene has
contacted seem to be OK. To be honest those with serious property
damage may have greater priorities at the moment than checking in with
their orchid society.
Andrew
Old 11-02-2009, 07:03 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

wrote:
Hi Andrew
I didn't get Helene's e-mail but I was told last night at OSSV that Eddie
and Ferndale had escaped. *Hadn't heard about Helen and Barry. *Pleased to
hear they only had relatively minor damage. *I trust everyone else out that
way is OK.
John

Other than Helene's son, who's house in Kinglake had a bit of fire
damage but otherwise survived, those ANOS members who Helene has
contacted seem to be OK. To be honest those with serious property
damage may have greater priorities at the moment than checking in with
their orchid society.
Andrew

Those of us in CO and CA here have seen close up what a wild fire can
do with a wind behind it. Our hearts go out to all of you and we weep
with you for the loss of so many. The survivors quilt will be as hard
for many to deal with as the loss of property.

Fire is a cruel beast and firebugs are like terrorists, the worst
murders of the lot.

SuE
http://orchids.legolas.org/gallery/orchids
Old 11-02-2009, 10:53 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

wrote:

Hi Andrew
I didn't get Helene's e-mail but I was told last night at OSSV that Eddie
and Ferndale had escaped. *Hadn't heard about Helen and Barry. *Pleased to
hear they only had relatively minor damage. *I trust everyone else out that
way is OK.
John

Other than Helene's son, who's house in Kinglake had a bit of fire
damage but otherwise survived, those ANOS members who Helene has
contacted seem to be OK. To be honest those with serious property
damage may have greater priorities at the moment than checking in with
their orchid society.
Andrew

http://www.vnpa.org.au/subsubsection...ction_id =276

I mainly knew Jenny through ANOS Victoria's tuber bank- a programme
that serves as a legal source of otherwise difficult to obtain
Australian terrestrial orchid tubers. Jenny was a regular contributor
to our tuber bank with several of the orchid species she donated
coming from cultivated plants that were originally collected from her
Steels Creek property. Very sad news.

Old 11-02-2009, 05:41 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

Has anyone heard from Reiner? Used to post under the name AusDigi. His
website is down, but since it was housed on his own server that may not mean
anything. He used to take photos of terrestrials on his tramps through the
national parks.

True, these people probably have bigger problems than contacting folks from
their orchid societies, but it just lets you know how the world has changed.
We've never met you and probably never will but we know you and wonder how
you are and hope everything's OK.

K Barrett

Old 11-02-2009, 10:13 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

On Feb 12, 3:41*am, "K Barrett" wrote:
Has anyone heard from Reiner? *Used to post under the name AusDigi. *His
website is down, but since it was housed on his own server that may not mean
anything. *He used to take photos of terrestrials on his tramps through the
national parks.

True, these people probably have bigger problems than contacting folks from
their orchid societies, but it just lets you know how the world has changed.
We've never met you and probably never will but we know you and wonder how
you are and hope everything's OK.

K Barrett

Reiner lives in the eastern suburbs of Melbourne. He should have been
far enough away from the fire that burnt parts of parts of the Fern
Tree Gully area. His house is not near the fires burnng to the north
or east of Melbourne.
Old 11-02-2009, 10:39 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

I'm with you, Kathy. In a much different way and on a much happier occasion,
that's why we all toasted you and Joe when you got married. And sent orchids
to Joanna when her baby was born. It's a virtual family.

Diana

"K Barrett" wrote in message
"Andrew" wrote in message
[...]

Thank you Andrew. You're a pal! I guess I can't get over being a den
mother.

K Barrett