Old 12-02-2009, 12:54 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

Default Stupid Flickr question

At Flickr: Do y'all set up the RSS feed so you know when someone comments
on your pictures? So you can comment back? I've never done that (I'm such
a newbie to social groups. I subscribe to them and then I lurk. How social
is that?) so I don't know if I'm being rude... well, some of you may think
I'm always rude. I mean ruder than normal, LOL!

K Barrett

Old 12-02-2009, 02:31 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

K Barrett wrote:
At Flickr: Do y'all set up the RSS feed so you know when someone comments
on your pictures? So you can comment back? I've never done that (I'm such
a newbie to social groups. I subscribe to them and then I lurk. How social
is that?) so I don't know if I'm being rude... well, some of you may think
I'm always rude. I mean ruder than normal, LOL!

K Barrett

Don't know anything about an RSS feed, but when I sign on, I'm shown new
uploads by contacts and can switch that view to 'recent activity' which
will show others' comments on my pics as well as followups on comments
I've made on others' pics.
Old 12-02-2009, 06:02 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

"tenman" wrote in message
K Barrett wrote:
At Flickr: Do y'all set up the RSS feed so you know when someone
comments on your pictures? So you can comment back? I've never done
that (I'm such a newbie to social groups. I subscribe to them and then I
lurk. How social is that?) so I don't know if I'm being rude... well,
some of you may think I'm always rude. I mean ruder than normal, LOL!

K Barrett

Don't know anything about an RSS feed, but when I sign on, I'm shown new
uploads by contacts and can switch that view to 'recent activity' which
will show others' comments on my pics as well as followups on comments
I've made on others' pics.

OK, that's what I do too. But I log on so infrequently I see folk's
comments like years later. Just wondered if there was a way around that.
Guess I should log on more often, LOL!

Old 12-02-2009, 08:24 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

Kathy

I have a yahoo e-mail address which is linked to Flickr so I also get a
yahoo e-mail whenever anyone comments on my photos. The e-mail subject line
reads "Recent activity on your photostream" and the body of the e-mail
contains a miniature of my photo with the comments beside each photo
commented on.

I also get an e-mail when a friend/contact posts new photos. The subject
line reads "New items from friends".
Again, these e-mails contain a miniature of the photos posted by my friends.
Clicking on these miniatures takes you to the Flickr page for that photo.
An easy way to keep track of who's posting what.

I also get a yahoo e-mail when someone send me a Flickr e-mail.

Trust this helps.

John

Old 12-02-2009, 04:03 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

Thanks John, that helps. especially the idea about getting a thumbnail of
people's pictures. I'll have to figure out how to do that.

I belong to a sheesh, what do you call it.... social network site called
Crimespace for mystery/crime fiction readers/writers. Run by an Australian
as it so happens... http://crimespace.ning.com/

I often think this is what the members only section of the AOS webpage
should evetually look like. Of course I don't mention it to them 'cause I'd
probably volunteer to help staff it, LOL! (Like I know what I'm doing).
But the sheer volume of "stuff" available on crimespace is mindboggling,
videos, podcasts, music, member pages, forums. That's why I lurk, there's
no way to keep up with it all. And that's just crime fiction. Imagine what
a Facebook orchid group would look like. Heck Stanford University is
offering a 4 part class on Facebook. Their thrust is for parents to figure
out what their children are doing, but I immediately thought what a way for
orchid people to get together. Maybe that's the future.

And speaking of which, have you (I mean anyone) ever gone to You Tube and
looked for orchid videos? There are ones on repotting, ones for the various
shows (I watched a selection on the last Taiwanese Orchid Show for example).

Yeah yeah, I know, I'm showing my ignorance. or nieveity (however you spell
it). I just gotta get out of my comfort zone.

K barrett

ster.com...

Old 12-02-2009, 07:00 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

Naivete.......

Good idea about You Tube. BTW, when I signed up for Flickr I was asked to
create a Yahoo email addie as well. I get the same notices that others have
described.

Diana

Old 12-02-2009, 08:51 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

On Wed, 11 Feb 2009 16:54:00 -0800 in K Barrett wrote:
At Flickr: Do y'all set up the RSS feed so you know when someone comments
on your pictures? So you can comment back? I've never done that (I'm such
a newbie to social groups. I subscribe to them and then I lurk. How social
is that?) so I don't know if I'm being rude... well, some of you may think
I'm always rude. I mean ruder than normal, LOL!

Part of the RSS feed is that someone can aggregate multiple RSS feeds
to quickly determine their dose of NEW.

I wonder if there's still the phenomemnon of RSS and Atom traffic
spiking at the top of the hour...

--
Chris Dukes
davej eskimos have hundreds of words for snow. I have two. Bullshit.