Old 14-02-2009, 01:19 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

Default just got an email from the aos..

They're going to close the gift shop, and close the gardens to the
public... I'm down here now, conveniently enough. Guess my timing's
good....

--j_a
Old 14-02-2009, 02:19 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

I know; heard that this morning, and it's on the web site. What is not yet
clear is if *the public* includes members. Not sure, but will find out more
soon. It is a sad decline.

Diana

Old 14-02-2009, 10:43 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

Off the subjetc but ever look at any of these social network sites. Here's
one for crime fiction (my other passion) Crimespace:
http://crimespace.ning.com/

I think the AOS webpage should look like that: the ability to post pictures,
blogs, videos....

Or maybe I'm nuts.

K Barrett

Old 14-02-2009, 11:46 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

Interesting site. I haven't been over at the AOS forum for a long time
(other than the newsletter section, where I post monthly). IIRC, you could
do photos there. Vids too?

Diana

Old 15-02-2009, 06:00 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

K Barrett wrote:
Off the subjetc but ever look at any of these social network sites. Here's
one for crime fiction (my other passion) Crimespace:
http://crimespace.ning.com/

I think the AOS webpage should look like that: the ability to post pictures,
blogs, videos....

Interesting. I liked the old AOS where everyone had to post in the same
'room', there was a sense of community there.

Or maybe I'm nuts.

Well, that's a whole 'nother question.....

Old 15-02-2009, 01:52 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

On Feb 13, 4:19*pm, wrote:
They're going to close the gift shop, and close the gardens to the
public... *I'm down here now, conveniently enough. *Guess my timing's
good.... *

--j_a

Oh dear! Where are people in Fla going to buy orchids from Ca now?

Got a call yesterday saying Bill Owens had died of a masive heart
attack. Thoughts go out to his wife.

Pat
Old 15-02-2009, 05:35 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

"Pat Brennan" wrote in message
On Feb 13, 4:19 pm, wrote:
They're going to close the gift shop, and close the gardens to the
public... I'm down here now, conveniently enough. Guess my timing's
good....

--j_a

Oh dear! Where are people in Fla going to buy orchids from Ca now?

Got a call yesterday saying Bill Owens had died of a masive heart
attack. Thoughts go out to his wife.

Pat
___________________________
Same here. I didn't recognize his name as Owens Orchids (Pisgah Forest)
till I googled it.

K Barrett

Old 21-02-2009, 09:25 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

Well, just came from there --the gift shop is pretty much cleaned out,
and they are currently unsure as to whether they will close to members
as well as the public.

--j_a

Old 21-02-2009, 11:00 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

There's a lot of stuff up in the air, still to be decided. You were only a
little over an hour away from us. Next time you're down here, give a shout
out before leaving if you like.

Diana

Old 22-02-2009, 09:32 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

I was actually staying out on one of the (gazillions of) golf courses
in PSL--is exit 121 considered PSL? (No, I do not golf, but
availability is dicey this time of year.) Wow, y'all sure do have a
lot of shopping centers.

Drove up to odom's; the man's got some serious floof going on.
Gorgeous. Good thing I can't grow catts very well, otherwise I would
have come home with a carload.

--j_a