Old 25-02-2009, 04:50 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

Default LED lights

Has anyone tried these? Combos of red&blue LEDs in a square panel.
Supposed to be as good as HID systems with less electricity. Amazon
has them via some other vendor. I'm tempted to try them for the
seedlings I should get back from flasking in May.

Janet
Old 26-02-2009, 03:17 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

On Wed, 25 Feb 2009 07:50:14 -0800 (PST) in janet wrote:
Has anyone tried these? Combos of red&blue LEDs in a square panel.
Supposed to be as good as HID systems with less electricity. Amazon
has them via some other vendor. I'm tempted to try them for the
seedlings I should get back from flasking in May.

Which systems are you looking at?
I looked at them back before I had a wife and step kids, and
I just couldn't see the extra cost of the fixtures paying for
the electricity.

however, since that time more vendors have been trying to deploy more
high intensity LED fixtures for more tasks.
I just haven't had time to look at them again :-).

--
Chris Dukes
davej eskimos have hundreds of words for snow. I have two. Bullshit.
Old 26-02-2009, 10:41 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

On Feb 25, 9:17*pm, wrote:
On Wed, 25 Feb 2009 07:50:14 -0800 (PST) in janet *wrote:

Has anyone tried these? *Combos of red&blue LEDs in a square panel.
Supposed to be as good as HID systems with less electricity. *Amazon
has them via some other vendor. *I'm tempted to try them for the
seedlings I should get back from flasking in May.

Which systems are you looking at?
I looked at them back before I had a wife and step kids, and
I just couldn't see the extra cost of the fixtures paying for
the electricity.

however, since that time more vendors have been trying to deploy more
high intensity LED fixtures for more tasks.
I just haven't had time to look at them again :-).

--
Chris Dukes
davej eskimos have hundreds of words for snow. I have two. *Bullshit..

http://www.amazon.com/Hydroponic-Lam...5641136&sr=1-1

Doesn't seem to need fixtures, $41 for this square of 225 LEDs

Janet
Old 26-02-2009, 01:49 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

On Thu, 26 Feb 2009 01:41:03 -0800 (PST) in janet wrote:

http://www.amazon.com/Hydroponic-Lam...5641136&sr=1-1

Doesn't seem to need fixtures, $41 for this square of 225 LEDs

I'm trying to remember the terminology my sister in law's husband uses,
but I think he'd call that an assembly. What you would kludge together
to keep from electrocuting yourself would be a fixture :-).

I've seen the panels of 225 LEDs before.

http://www.ledlightsorient.com/12w-r...0509-p-93.html
looks interesting, but the lack of spelling on the website is appalling.

Janet

Old 26-02-2009, 04:15 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

wrote:
On Thu, 26 Feb 2009 01:41:03 -0800 (PST) in janet wrote:

http://www.amazon.com/Hydroponic-Lam...5641136&sr=1-1

Doesn't seem to need fixtures, $41 for this square of 225 LEDs

I'm trying to remember the terminology my sister in law's husband uses,
but I think he'd call that an assembly. What you would kludge together
to keep from electrocuting yourself would be a fixture :-).

I've seen the panels of 225 LEDs before.

http://www.ledlightsorient.com/12w-r...0509-p-93.html
looks interesting, but the lack of spelling on the website is appalling.

Janet

The question I couldn't find an answer to is the demensions. Is this a
3-inch square, 6-inch square, foot square or a yard square or somewhere
in between? One would need to know the size before deciding the value.

Old 27-02-2009, 04:45 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

On Thu, 26 Feb 2009 10:15:19 -0500 in tenman wrote:
The question I couldn't find an answer to is the demensions. Is this a
3-inch square, 6-inch square, foot square or a yard square or somewhere
in between? One would need to know the size before deciding the value.

Extrapolating from the power plug picture on
http://www.superled.net/ledgrowlights.html
I'm guessing that device is about 5"x5"

Looking at http://www.creelighting.com/LR6.htm
I'm thinking that the other products don't have sufficient thermal handling.

However, i think I hit the cool stuff here...
http://www.roithner-laser.com/LED_HP_multi_chip.html
Old 27-02-2009, 12:58 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

Well, I decided to try one since I couldn't find anyone who did and
found it didn't work. I will test it first against fluorescent lights
and maybe try some marigold seeds, the kind that bloom in 30 days or
so, those real tiny ones. If that works, the tomato plants will be
next, and when I put those out in the garden, my flasks should be
here. If the marigolds and tomatos work, then I'll put some of the
babies under the LED lights and some under the fluorescent ones. I'll
post my results.

Janet

Old 08-04-2011, 11:45 PM
Registered User

It did not like a fire burning lamp ballasts, hydroponics to other plants. It is not hot, just warm. You will not experience unsightly brown burned when they accidentally touch the LED. This is the most common other witnesses who have become very hot.
lights grow

Anyone used the new LED grow lights? Bobo Bonobo® Edible Gardening 16 29-02-2012 03:37 PM
Coast LED Lenser LL7590 Write Light Gift Boxed White LED pen light flashlight and Pen [email protected] Edible Gardening 0 22-05-2009 08:39 AM
LED lights [email protected] Gardening 7 13-04-2007 11:51 AM
Compact Fluorescent and LED grow lights charles VanDyke Orchids 19 12-11-2005 02:00 AM
Commercial LED Plant Lights charles VanDyke Orchids 4 11-11-2005 07:34 PM