Old 06-03-2009, 09:43 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

Default sterilizing clay..?

someone please remind me how to sterilize clay pots? i have a honkin'
huge antelope type den that has CyMV; a bunch of its leaves (even
recent ones) are turning yellow all of a sudden and it may not be long
for this world. if it croaks, it and its pot are getting tossed, of
course, but it's been sitting in a larger clay pot for balance, and
i'd rather not toss that one too. i won't ever use it for orchids,
but i'd like to be able to put the dutchmen's pipes or a lantana in
it--i seem to recall something about soaking in a bleach solution or
baking in the oven...? thx..

--j_a
Old 07-03-2009, 01:06 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

Bleach, I say, if you insist on keeping it. Remember that water splashes,
etc. I wouldn't want it around. Of course, every large collection most
likely has a virus afflicted plant, so we all run the risk.

OTOH, I also recall reading about baking. I think KB knows about that.
She'll pop in on this, I hope.

Diana

Old 07-03-2009, 03:02 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

I bake mine. Put them in the oven at 400F for 60 minutes. If they are wet
start them in a cold oven so the steam doesn't break the pot.

I've also put them through the auto clean cycle of the oven too.... Your
wife will KILL YOU for ruining the shine on her oven racks if you do that.
I'd already wrecked mine so I don't care about that.

This does not take the calcium deposits off the pots.

K Barrett

Old 07-03-2009, 08:24 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

Got physan, got bleach, got an oven. Maybe I'll do all three. Thx
all.

But what is this "shine" you speak of in the oven ??

;-)

--j_a

Ray B wrote:
Physan

Old 08-03-2009, 05:38 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

I soak my clay pots in bleach & water for a day, scrub them & then soak
again in
plain water. I sun dry them as well.
Cheers Wendy