Old 14-04-2009, 10:31 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

Default orchids in literature

I'm thinking of putting together a seminar on orchids for our learning
and retirement group and thought that a session on orchids in
literature (or song or the movies) would be neat. However, the only
ones that come to mind are Brenda Starr and the black orchid and then
Nero Wolfe. Google was not any help to me. Do any of you know of any
other instances in which orchids play a role in a book or song or
movie?

Janet
Old 14-04-2009, 11:23 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

michelle wan's novels:

deadly slipper

the orchid shroud

a twist of orchids (out in may)

and of course the orchid thief and.... and...., you know, mary
motes's book.

orchid thief was turned into the movie 'adaptation.' (--which ended
up having very little to do with the book; i suspect alcohol was
involved.)

--j_a

Old 16-04-2009, 06:33 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

They are in the backgrounds of just about every Star Trek Next Generation
episode that features someone's apartment onboard ship. Or elsewhere for
that matter.

K Barrett

Old 17-04-2009, 03:47 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

Thanks. This is exactly the kind of thing I'm looking for--not books
about orchids, but books or movies about something else in which
orchids play some kind of role. Also found a Nancy Drew mystery about
orchids.

Janet

Old 19-04-2009, 02:46 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

yes, the running theme in the wan novels is an unknown cyp that one
of the protagonists is always madly looking for; it plays a
substantial part in the plot of each book. i like 'em. the motes
book is more a tongue in cheek look at the industry in south FL, and
the orchid thief is pretty much about dendrophylax lindenii; i think
it's considered non fiction though. but also a good book.

--j_a

Old 19-04-2009, 06:42 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

On Apr 14, 1:31*pm, janet wrote:
I'm thinking of putting together a seminar on orchids for our learning
and retirement group and thought that a session on orchids in
literature *(or song or the movies) would be neat. *However, the only
ones that come to mind are Brenda Starr and the black orchid and then
Nero Wolfe. *Google was not any help to me. *Do any of you know of any
other instances in which orchids play a role in a book or song or
movie?

Janet

Don't forget the wrestler Gorgeous George, The Wild Orchid.
Also check out IMDB for movie listings. Just plug in orchid.
And a big hello to my old Orchid Safari friends.
Clareinla
Old 20-04-2009, 03:58 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

"clareinolywa" wrote in message
On Apr 14, 1:31 pm, janet wrote:
I'm thinking of putting together a seminar on orchids for our learning
and retirement group and thought that a session on orchids in
literature (or song or the movies) would be neat. However, the only
ones that come to mind are Brenda Starr and the black orchid and then
Nero Wolfe. Google was not any help to me. Do any of you know of any
other instances in which orchids play a role in a book or song or
movie?

Janet

Don't forget the wrestler Gorgeous George, The Wild Orchid.
Also check out IMDB for movie listings. Just plug in orchid.
And a big hello to my old Orchid Safari friends.
Clareinla
-----
What are you growing these days Clare? Masds?

K Barrett
wishing I could grow masds.

Old 29-04-2009, 12:59 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

On Apr 19, 12:42*pm, clareinolywa wrote:
On Apr 14, 1:31*pm, janet wrote:

I'm thinking of putting together a seminar on orchids for our learning
and retirement group and thought that a session on orchids in
literature *(or song or the movies) would be neat. *However, the only
ones that come to mind are Brenda Starr and the black orchid and then
Nero Wolfe. *Google was not any help to me. *Do any of you know of any
other instances in which orchids play a role in a book or song or
movie?

Janet

Don't forget the wrestler Gorgeous George, The Wild Orchid.
Also check out IMDB for movie listings. Just plug in orchid.
And a big hello to my old Orchid Safari friends.
Clareinla

Thanks Clareinia. Exactly the kinds of leads I'm looking for.

Janet