Old 26-04-2009, 07:39 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

Default Stress buying

OK, so I rejoined Weight Watchers. The big thing with weight watchers is to
learn to control your impulses. They stress watching your caloric intake,
journaling what you eat - if you bite it write it - you know what I mean.
All that crap.

Well, I just had the week from hell.

Joe fell and broke his leg. That was the Saturday before Easter and its
been downhill ever since. The computer at work hosed, luckily we were able
to get that back up and running with a visit from the IT guy - so we were
only down one day. But the state of the computer systems are appallingly
bad, requiring updates in both hardware and software - requiring data
conversion.

Read: many months of growing pains.

Then 3 vital pieces of equipment hosed themselves too. Luckily I was able
to repair one, but the others - well.....

Read: went to bank for line of credit.

Amazingly through all this I only put on .4 lbs - so no stress eating! Yay
me!

But then Norman's Orchids decided to email me with their 5 for the price of
4 sale - or whatever it was - and I fished out my credit card like a swabbie
on leave and went to town.

Mostly Phal species. Now *where'd* that come from? I usually don't buy
phals, but I've developed a hankering for bellina and venosas. So here I
sit with a few of them plus a cornu-cervi I've wanted for a while coming.

I figure it beats eating.

K Barrett

Old 27-04-2009, 03:26 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

Jeez, Louise, you've had a week, all right! But you and weight? I would not
have guessed that. Any photo I've seen of you shows a slim gal.

Now, stress orchid purchases are another animal entirely. Those are healthy.
They're probably even heart healthy and good for cholesterol and
triglycerides, too. And they most likely keep the Orchid Gods happy, so
that's a good thing. Wouldn't want the OGs to get ticked off.

Joe is more important than the computer systems, but you knew that. Is he
navigating okay? I remember a long ago broken leg with a cast up to my butt.
Took six months to get back to semi normal, but I was running around in the
interim.

Species Phals are cool. I saw a bunch over the weekend at a local show, and
I have a few in bloom (finally!) and one in spike (double finally!).

If anyone can handle this, you can. Go for it, strong lady.

Diana

Old 27-04-2009, 08:00 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

Yeah, I put on about 20# in about 6 months and couldn't focus to take it
off, so I rejoined. Beats buying larger clothes especially when one has
maxxed one's credit card on orchids.

I thought by now I'd have buyers remorse from the impulse purchases but
instead I'm looking forward to them. I musta done the right thing, LOL! Or
else I'm confident in the bank line, Ha!

I'm in the middle of repotting. Well, tossing the crap and repotting the
rest.
Joe is home in a boot and gets around with a wheel chair and a walker.
Bored to tears. Everyone tells me I should get him some video games but
that'd just create a time-eating monster, LOL! I tell him to read - I'm
soooo 20th century! *G*

Hmmmm. Maybe I should teach him about repotting...... [have stones, need
birds...]

.. .

Old 27-04-2009, 05:54 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

The only stress I get from orchid buyiing is when I CAN'T !!

Oxidative stress David Plant Biology 0 24-02-2004 07:14 PM
Personal heat stress WWCASE Gardening 0 13-06-2003 06:32 PM
Stress Ted Byers Orchids 1 25-02-2003 07:04 AM