Old 04-06-2009, 01:41 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

Default Arrg--ice cubes--arrg

This year has been something, up and down the east coast Wal*Mart and Costco
has been selling phals (from Costa I think) that includes a care sheet
telling people to water by placing a couple of ice cubes on top of the mix
every week. I am so sick of ice cube questions. Here are some my standard
answers:

I do not think the plants I am selling would thrive on ice cubes, you need
to talk to the grower you bought the plant from.

Why would anyone tell you to put ice on the roots of a tropical plant?

Those instructions are to keep the plant alive while it is blooming. They
assume you will throw the plant away when it goes out of bloom.

Ice cubes? What a novel approach.

I am not real happy with any of these answers, anyone have some ideas?

Pat

Old 04-06-2009, 03:40 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

Pat,

If those are anything like the Costa Farms phals I've seen at my local
Lowes, they are packed so tightly into sphagnum in a "breathe-proof"
ceramic pot, they're probably doomed anyway.

I do like the "ice cubes on the roots of a [warmth-loving] tropical
plant" response, though. A follow-up may be to ask if they are planning
on making ice-cube-tray fertilizer popsicles (don't use them in a
cocktail), or just letting the plant starve?

Plants, Supplies, Books, Artwork, & Lots of Free Info!

Old 04-06-2009, 05:01 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

"Pat Brennan" wrote in message
g.com...
This year has been something, up and down the east coast Wal*Mart and
Costco has been selling phals (from Costa I think) that includes a care
sheet telling people to water by placing a couple of ice cubes on top of
the mix every week. I am so sick of ice cube questions. Here are some my
standard answers:

I do not think the plants I am selling would thrive on ice cubes, you need
to talk to the grower you bought the plant from.

Why would anyone tell you to put ice on the roots of a tropical plant?

Those instructions are to keep the plant alive while it is blooming. They
assume you will throw the plant away when it goes out of bloom.

Ice cubes? What a novel approach.

I am not real happy with any of these answers, anyone have some ideas?

Pat

IMHO, all these answers are appropriate. IMHO this goes back to
credibility. The customer bought a plant that came with written
instructions therefore Costa (or whoever) has instant credibility. The next
guy has to do some work to supercede that authority in the customer's mind.
This may create anxiety in the customer's mind: have they made a bad choice
in purchasing their cute flower? So should they listen to you or should
they believe the handout that came with their plant? Who to trust?

You need to establish your credibility. And, here's the rub, it has to be
done one-on-one, one person at a time at a sale or other venue where you
don't have the time to deal with these questions knowing full well that your
time will probably never translate to a sale or repeat sales.

So what to do? Create your own handout correcting the myths of Phal
culture? Give a short talk at the next sale on the Top 10 Myths of Phal
Culture? (That means someone will have to cover your booth while you talk)
IMHO the good news is that the customers who *ask* you questions like these
haven't bought in to Costa's handout and therefore are ready for
assimilation into the Phal Collective. Photoshop your picture over Dennis
Leary's in the latest Hulu ad, 'Your brains ain't done yet.'
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b-jfrjXrOyc

Because we're the Phal People and we want to take over the world.

K Barrett

Old 05-06-2009, 12:41 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

Thanks,

I have not used any blue ice lines, but that is so coming now. Zappa and
yellow snow, Brennan and blue ice.

I do not know why I did not think about a handout. Near brain dead I guess.
We use handouts all the time to keep people moving. Here is a pointer to
our 'Bought it at a box store and it is not doing well' handout.

http://brennansorchids.com/bigbox.html

My wife Molly writes these things. I'll put up a pointer to this new one
when it is done. As for talks, Molly does talks at most of the flower
shows. It seems I am too gruff to do the talks. If she does not include a
section on ice watering, she will at least be prepared for the question.

Pat

Old 05-06-2009, 05:27 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

Everything said so far is true, but...

as an exception to the rule, I remember someone postiing on one of the
groups about a decade or so ago that they lived in a locale too warm for
cyms and got them to bloom by - you guessed it - putting ice cubes in
the pot every day for a set period of time (I don't remember the number
of weeks mentioned)!

Old 05-06-2009, 05:54 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

That's a nice handout! You could send it to your local orchid societies as
fodder for their newsletters. Providing they say the info was courtesy of
Brennan's orchids and use a link to your page. But you thought of that,
since you're part of the Collective.

.com...

Old 05-06-2009, 07:34 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

"K Barrett" wrote in message
....snip... Providing they say the info was courtesy of
Brennan's orchids and use a link to your page. K

The copies I hand out at shows do not have our company name or website on
them. We have provided this sheet to other venders and societies who work
a flower show, the only stipulation I have insisted on was that if they
wanted to use it, they could not add any reference to us.

Old 05-06-2009, 10:14 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

Here is the new sheet I am going to this weekend's show armed with. It will
take forever to get it up on the web so I just cut and pasted it here.

Pat

How Do I Water My Orchid Properly if it's Planted in Moss?

We plant all our phalaenopsis and some of our other types of orchids in
long-fiber sphagnum moss. This is not your usual craft store sphagnum moss,
which is a short, stubby fibered thing used for decoration. This is a
sterilized, long-fibered moss from New Zealand, Chile, or other locations
around the world. Because it is long-fibered versus short, it will stay
light and airy in the pot and not pack down into a wet mess. We really do
favor this potting medium because we have found it to be clean, less
hospitable as a home for bugs than bark, and easy to detect when the plant
is ready to be watered.

So how do you know when to water your plant? Well, you give it the "pinch
test." Pinch the moss at the top of the pot, no deeper than the first
knuckle on your index finger. If, when you pinch the medium, you can feel
moisture, do not water. If the mix is dry when you pinch it, then it's
ready to be thoroughly watered with lukewarm or room temperature water.
Take the plant to the sink and water the pot until the water is gushing out
of the bottom drainage holes. I said pot, and I meant it. Don't let water
splash into the leaf crevices and sit there. That would encourage crown
rot, which is often fatal. You water this way to simulate a quick, tropical
thunderstorm, which is what the plant would have gotten in its natural
habitat. Let the plant drain thoroughly and then put it back wherever it
was growing happily. When you put the plant back, do not turn the plant
like you would some houseplants. Orchids like to maintain their exact same
orientation towards the light. Turning them forces them to adjust and will
discourage and confuse them.

I must address some watering silliness that has popped up from big box store
sellers. The watering instructions on some of the orchids they are selling
tell you to put a certain number of ice cubes on the plant every week. I
can only assume that they believe your expectations for your orchid are the
same as if it were cut flowers. Watering with an ice cube will prevent you
from killing the plant by overwatering while it is in bloom. Then they
expect you to toss it in the trash like a spent bouquet and buy another.

Tropical plants like orchids have never met an ice cube before. An ice cube
touching a leaf or root will kill that tissue. Over the long term, ice
cubes will not provide enough water to sustain the plant. Food can not be
delivered through ice cubes. If you plan to keep your orchid for any period
of time, do not put ice on it. Enough said.

All of these instructions are appropriate for our plants potted in our
long-fiber moss mix. If your plant is in bark, please ask the grower for
his instructions on proper watering. Enjoy your plant.

Old 06-06-2009, 01:28 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

the stupids thing of heard in my life. ice cubes on tropical plant.what next
light a fire on your plant .the smoke will increase your flower time.thats
why you dont buy orchids from big chains that dont know nothing about what
their selling.go to orchid nurseries!!!!!!
ps know and then i buy plants to save from the big chains.but i am not a
welfare state. i go broke saving orchids from the chains.
you must remember they want you to came back and buy another .if you kill
yuor plants its cheaper buying the flowers from a florist.they will last
just as long. for half the price.

Old 06-06-2009, 05:27 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

I like what you've written. The #1 advice I usually give for Phals is that
they like what you like. Would you go to bed with wet feet? No. Do you
like temperatures over 85 degrees? No. Or colder than 60? No. No drafts,
either. Would you like to be doused with ice cubes unless you'd coached the
Super Bowl? No. So they like the same conditions that you like.

Old 06-06-2009, 04:31 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

On Jun 5, 11:27*pm, "K Barrett" wrote:
I like what you've written. *The #1 advice I usually give for Phals is that
they like what you like. *Would you go to bed with wet feet? No. *Do you
like temperatures over 85 degrees? *No. *Or colder than 60? No. *No drafts,
either. Would you like to be doused with ice cubes unless you'd coached the
Super Bowl? *No. *So they like the same conditions that you like.

K"Pat Brennan" wrote in message

g.com...

[...]

I just ran into this the other day at a neighborhood picnic. But in
this case, the person said she'd had the orchid--a dendrobium for five
years and all that time had done nothing but put one ice cube on it
every morning. Then, she said, she met someone who was supposed to
know about orchid who sold her some orchid fertilizer and told her to
water with it, weakly weekly. And the dendrobium promptly died. Was
potted in bark mix of some sort, media looked fine. Totally bizarre!

Janet

Sea Shepherd Announces: Seal Defense Campaign 2008! Sea ShepherdCrew to Shift from the Southern Ice to the Northern Ice [email protected] United Kingdom 1 06-04-2008 09:41 AM
ice cubes for watering Raels Australia 11 08-02-2004 02:29 PM
ice cubes for watering Raels Australia 0 03-02-2004 12:17 AM
Spices/Herbs in Ice Cubes [email protected] Edible Gardening 2 12-07-2003 04:56 PM
Barley Cubes/balls Jan Ponds 3 14-04-2003 10:08 PM