Old 15-08-2009, 05:04 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

Default A Million Thanks Kye. X Posting

Just want to mention that I had contacted Kye, prior to our new list, regarding the up & down status of
his server/news group.

My postings were on Kye's request for testing which I initiated before Ray's List was set up. so
the rest of my posts were just ongoing from there.

I mentioned that the group had disbanded & thanked him profusely for all his help. I thought that
we could maybe keep Kye's Orchids news group as a back up but it certainly has it's ups & downs!!!

Anyway, a million thanks to Kye, appreciate everything you did for us.
Cheers Wendy.

Old 16-08-2009, 03:21 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

I agree 100%.

Kye has gone through trial and tribulation - and not a small amount of
money - to keep us "alive", and we all owe him a great deal of thanks
for that.

The orchidphotos list should relieve him of that burden.

Ray Barkalow - First Rays LLC - http://www.firstrays.com
www.firstrays.com
Plants, Supplies, Equipment, Books, Artwork
Free Services & Lots of Info!

From: Diana Kulaga ]
Posted At: Saturday, August 15, 2009 9:47 PM
Posted To: rec.gardens.orchids
Conversation: A Million Thanks Kye. X Posting
Subject: A Million Thanks Kye. X Posting

Old 16-08-2009, 08:13 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.orchids,rec.gardens.orchids

Rec.gardens.orchids had been around "forever". I started there/here
(just decided to cross post) in 1997.
All of us, with the possible exception of a new reader or two, know that
Kye is the one who set up alt.binaries.pictures.orchids so we all could
show our pictures. Before that, we either had to post to a web site or
use the existing group for general gardening pictures.
Then, when nearly everyone lost the binary groups if not all news
groups, Kye set up the server just for us. We owe him a lot.

A big round of applause to Kye and, if he has not already done so, I
hope he signs up for the new e-mail based group and checks in to see us
once in a while!

Steve in the Adirondacks
PS Maybe Wendy should forward this all to Kye and provide him the link
to sign up if need be.

Ray Barkalow - First Rays LLC - www.firstrays.com http://www.firstrays.com

Old 17-08-2009, 06:32 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

-stands and applauds-

--j_a

Old 18-08-2009, 01:44 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

Janet, are you going to come over to the new list?

Diana

"jankey" wrote in message
-stands and applauds-

--j_a

Old 18-08-2009, 08:50 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

i was on it for the weekend; it just about killed my mail program.
(some very nice flowers though. since i don't have a computer and
use my blackberry (shhhh don't tell the boss) i can't have that much
email coming in to the little box, so i had to cancel.

i'm still hanging 'round with the 'geeks though; i see ray over there
occasionally.

--j_a

Old 18-08-2009, 09:11 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

On Tue, 18 Aug 2009 11:50:56 -0700 (PDT) in jankey wrote:
i was on it for the weekend; it just about killed my mail program.
(some very nice flowers though. since i don't have a computer and
use my blackberry (shhhh don't tell the boss) i can't have that much
email coming in to the little box, so i had to cancel.

You know... I was only thinking of the folks still on dialup
when mentioning posting pictures on some place like flikr or shutterfly.
But the same bandwidth limitations also apply to crackberries and other
PDAs.

--
Chris Dukes
Old 18-08-2009, 09:33 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

But the same bandwidth limitations also apply to crackberries and other
PDAs.

--
Chris Dukes

i was actually using the bberry browser to look at my web based email;
it only let's me see about 10 messages at a time so it was just making
the mail program harder to use.

--j_a
Old 18-08-2009, 10:16 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

jankey wrote:
But the same bandwidth limitations also apply to crackberries and other
PDAs.

--
Chris Dukes

i was actually using the bberry browser to look at my web based email;
it only let's me see about 10 messages at a time so it was just making
the mail program harder to use.

--j_a

I don't know if this will help you one little bit, but I would recommend
to anyone... think about using more than one e-mail address for various
things. The return address you see here is my oldest one. Being an AOL
address, it used to be a spam magnet. I can go to the AOL web site (this
is all free) and block all mail except from addresses on a list I create.
I then mostly used this address for news groups (such as this one)
because it is now spam proof. I was using it for the Orchids Digest
mailing list. Now I have lumped in the new Orchid Pictures mail list.
I can go check this AOL address (I don't have to actually go anywhere, I
have it so it shows up on my normal mail reader with all my other
addresses) and find only orchid related mail. It's not mixed in with
personal mail from various friends and not clogging up my normal in box.

Steve in the Adirondacks

Old 18-08-2009, 11:25 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

Don't forget that you can still view them in the archives!

Ray Barkalow - First Rays LLC - www.firstrays.com
Orchid Plants, Supplies, Equipment, Books
Artwork, Free Services & Lots of Info!

Old 19-08-2009, 04:22 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

i tried that the other day real quick, but i didn't see any
pictures...? will have to give it a whirl again some time.

-waves at diana-

--j_a

Old 19-08-2009, 05:36 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

The archives consists of a series of links:

1) On the main page, you'll see a link for the month of the post.

2) Click on one and it will bring you to another series of links, this
time each one was a post sent to the list.

3) Click on one of them, and if it has a photo attached, after the text
of the message is "Attachment:" and the name of the file. The file name
isn't highlighted like a link, but it is, so click on it and it'll pop
up.

As an editorial comment: shame on you for not having a PC and trying to
do all of this on a corporate Blackberry. (insert grin here). You can
get a whole system for about the cost of a Blackberry!

Old 19-08-2009, 05:52 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

Hmmmm. If you follow my instructions below, you will be propmpted for
a user name and password, and at this moment, I have NO IDEA what those
are.

I'll get back to you..