Old 01-09-2009, 10:55 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

Default Jungle Feed

Jungle Feed1 teaspoon is 5ml , going by the calculator this is 4.54 x 0.95 =4.3 ml per gallon /4.54 l
This is way too much i think
I have put 5ml in 10 l to achieve TDS of 320 ppm
keith
"keith kent" wrote in message ...
This really is getting silly now ! ;-)
On my 1 teaspoon is 5ml , a online conversion from 1 teaspoon to ml is 3.55163ml
I have always known 1teaspoon as 5 ml,
This should be simple right , i only want to know how many whatever to put into a gallon to get 125 ppm N.
aaaHHHHHH
lol
"Ray B" wrote in message news:000c01ca2a7a$091888e0$0201a8c0@fro...
Keith,

A US gallon is 3.785 liters

A US teaspoon is 4.93 milliliters

An Imperial gallon is 4.546 liters

An Imperial teaspoon is 5.92 milliliters

1 US teaspoon per US gallon is 4.93ml/3.785L = 1.302 ml/L

1 Imperial teaspoon per Imperial gallon is 5.92ml/4.546L = 1.302ml/L

The ratio being identical means that 10 divided by the %N gives you the teaspoons per gallon to use for 125 ppm N, whether US or Imperial units.

As you put one Imperial teaspoon in an Imperial gallon, you used 1/0.75=1.333, or one-third more than necessary, meaning that the solution you now have is about 125 x 1.333=167 ppm N, so all you have to do is dilute it to ¾ of its current concentration for use. You could take a quart of solution out and replace it with a quart of water, or if your mixing container is large enough, add a quart plus a cup of water to the gallon.

Ray Barkalow - First Rays LLC - www.firstrays.com

Orchid Plants, Supplies, Equipment, Books

Artwork, Free Services & Lots of Info!

From: keith kent ]
Posted At: Monday, August 31, 2009 2:32 PM
Posted To: rec.gardens.orchids
Conversation: Jungle Feed
Subject: Jungle Feed

Ray is it as simple as converting 0.75 us teaspoon to uk teaspoon which is 1.0408427308 ( which is as good as 1 teaspoon yeh ?) then add this to a uk Gallon which is 4.5 UK litres

What do you think ?,if i can get this right from the start then it will be easy from here .Phew !

Keith

"keith kent" wrote in message ...

Hi RAY ,i am using a online conversion would you convert US gallon dry as the feed is powder form ?

Thanks Keith

You are correct that you would add 1ml of a 13%N fertilizer to one liter (litre) of water. I'll leave the conversion to imperial gallons to you.

From: keith kent ]
Posted At: Sunday, August 30, 2009 4:24 PM
Posted To: rec.gardens.orchids
Conversation: Jungle Feed

Hi Ray , for ml/L msu is 13 % N divide x 13 is obviously 1 ml ? is this per litre so it is 4.5 ml per gallon water? it surely cannot be 1 ml a gallon .

Cheers Keith

"Ray B" wrote in message news:000401ca2115$50f47bb0$0201a8c0@fro...

What I have learned is that most professional growers (not just orchids), control their feeding by managing the ppm N in the solution, and letting the rest of the nutrients "tag along" in the ratios of the preferred formula.

I shoot for 125 ppm N in my fertilizer solution at all times. It's easy to determine the amount to use - just divide 10 by the %N on the label, and the result is teaspoons to add per gallon. For you sophisticated, metricated folks, divide 13 by the %N to get the ml/L.

From: keith kent ]
Posted At: Wednesday, August 19, 2009 12:11 PM
Posted To: rec.gardens.orchids
Conversation: Jungle Feed

Thanks for that Ray , i did see the orchidboard post after doing a search.

I am going to buy the Akerne orchids feed which is basically the MSU i think http://www.akerne-orchids.com/index.htm as it is the only one available in the EU .

As the feed is 13 -3- 15 does this mean that less feed will be required compared to the 1-0-1 .

If so this is just what i am looking for ,as i mix up at 160lts a time sometimes and liquid feeds ,i just use too much of the stuff even to get the mix to 350ppm .

Regards Keith

"Ray B" wrote in message news:000001ca2000$023fe0b0$0202fea9@fro...

Dilute it about 12:1 or 13:1

12.8/12=1.07
4.8/12=0.4
14.5/12=1.21

Rounding to the nearest whole number, that's 1-0-1

Old 01-09-2009, 12:10 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

Jungle FeedI have redone this @ 0.75 /gallon
result is 422ppm/660 m/sm RO 6ppm

So i am thinking if this was diluted to 7 litres i should be somewhere where i want to be around TDS 250-300 ppm and feeding @ every watering
Keith
"keith kent" wrote in message ...
Sorry Ray , i am getting on my own nerves now !!
Your calculator & MSU comes out at 0.73 teaspoons per gallon or 0.95 m/l per litre to achieve 125 ppm N.

This seems high still as when i added 0.75 teaspoons per gallon the TDS was approx 650 ppm why ? as the calculator says it should be 258 ppm ,i no this doesn`t include the other elements ,but surely they don`t add up to 392 ppm
This is using RO @ 6ppm
Or is this TDS usually about right ?
I will try again 0.73 in a gallon again and see what i get
Thanks for the below i have printed it off & Cheers
Keith

Old 01-09-2009, 01:12 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

First of all, TDS meters are rarely correct. I have two, and at a known
125 ppm N solution of the Greencare MSU RO formula, one tells me the TDS
is 475, the other 600 ppm. How are we to trust either of them for
absolute readings? Here’s a bit from my “EC & TDS” article:

A TDS meter is really just an electrical conductivity (EC) meter that
has a built-in conversion factor that displays the output in parts per
million (ppm) of total dissolved solids (TDS). The trouble is that the
relationship between the conductivity of a solution and its content
varies not only by the concentration of the dissolved ions, but is also
based upon the charge and mobility of the dissolved ionic species.
As a very simplified explanation of that, imagine a small ion and a
large ion having the same electrical charge. The small ion will find it
easier to move in the solution, so "conducts" that charge faster, so
gives a higher EC for the same concentration (TDS) in the solution.
Likewise, if two ions have the same size, but one has a higher charge
than the other, it too will show a higher EC.
A commercial fertilizer can be made up of dozens of different chemicals,
each of which ionizes and contributes to the EC of the solution, and
different brands of fertilizer can use different chemicals to make up
the total formula. With all of that variability, how can a single
"constant" conversion factor be valid?

That said, as you recognize, my online calculator only gives the ppm of
the N, P, & K.

If you use the Greencare published chemistry, and calculate the
contribution of the cations only, for 125 ppm N, the calculated TDS is
for N+P+K is 265 ppm, and adding the minor elements brings the total up
to about 355 ppm. However, we know that some of the anionic components
contribute to the TDS, but which do and which don’t? Also, some
fertilizer minerals have chemically-bound water in them, so when
dissolved that water comes free but does not contribute to the
conductivity or dissolved solids content.

Let’s look at it from the other end of the spectrum: according to the
Greencare label, one must add 3.55g of powder to a US gallon of pure
water to attain the 125 ppm N level. As a part-per-million is a
milligram per kilogram, and a US gallon is 3.785 liters @ 1 kg/L, for
125 ppm N, we are actually adding 3550mg/3.785kg or 938 ppm of solids.

So now we have a calculated cation contribution of 355 ppm at one end,
and a gross contribution of 938 ppm at the other. The REAL answer is
somewhere in between, but I’ll be damned if I have any idea what it is,
and I will not trust ANY TDS meter to tell me a true level anyway.
(With the exception of orchid growers, professional nurserymen rely on
EC of the solution, as it is directly measurable.)

Here’s the best advice you can get:

1) Trust the manufacturer.
2) Know your units.
3) Mix the recommended amount.
4) Don’t fret any longer.

If you want to use your TDS meter, do as I, and only use it as a guide.
Using 1, 2, & 3 above, I measure the TDS with one of my meters – let’s
use the 600 one in this example – and from then on, if I check my
solution and it’s between 550 and 650, I’m happy. The actual number is
meaningless, but it does allow me to measure repeatability.

Can we move on now, please?

Ray Barkalow - First Rays LLC - http://www.firstrays.com
www.firstrays.com
Orchid Plants, Supplies, Equipment, Books
Artwork, Free Services & Lots of Info!

Posted At: Monday, August 17, 2009 6:33 PM
Posted To: rec.gardens.orchids
Conversation: Jungle Feed
Hi , Any thoughts on Jungle feed and can anyone point me in the
direction to
finding out what is in jungle feed ?
It is 1-0-1 , i have found out it is from a stock solution of 12.8- 4.8
-
14.5 so how do they get 1-0-1 ?
Regards Keith

Old 01-09-2009, 02:35 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

What’s the 660 m/sm?

Why do you want to dilute it further? The recommended continuous
feeding rate for the MSU RO formula is 125 ppm N. If your 0.75 tsp/gal
gives you that, why change?

Old 01-09-2009, 03:29 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

On Tue, 1 Sep 2009 09:35:30 -0400 in 000401ca2b09$2a9f8d80$0201a8c0@fro Ray B wrote:

------=_NextPart_000_0092_01CA2AE7.A38206A0

WhatÂ’s the 660 m/sm?

Why do you want to dilute it further? The recommended continuous
feeding rate for the MSU RO formula is 125 ppm N. If your 0.75 tsp/gal
gives you that, why change?

Any chance ya'll could turn off the posting with a text version and
an HTML version and trim the quotes occasionally?
While this thread has been amusing me greatly, 1588 line posts which
are mostly HTML from earlier in the thread is getting a tad insane.

And as keith has finally gone metric like a good european...

PPM Nitrogen = 1000000* ((%N/100)*((fertilizer in ml)/1000)/(container size in liters)

Cancel some zeroes
PPM Nitrogen = 10 * (%N * (fertilizer in ml))/(container size in liters)

And plug in the numbers for 125PPM nitrogen... 13%N in the fertilizer...

125 = 10 * ( 13 * (x))/1

125/130 ml/l and for sanity's sake we just round to 1ml/l.

And if Keith wants to play with the amounts for other PPMs.

PPM component*container size in l/(10*%component)= ml of fert

And if Keith absolutely must find out the TDS... the UK should have
an equivalent to an agriculture extension agency which should, for a
fee, be willing to do a full sample anlysis for him.

Color me a grouch, but these calculations are a no-brainer
in metric. And if you need to end up using screwball non-metric
units, do the unit conversion from the metric answer to the screwball
units.

And Keith... there's this wonderful Unix program called 'units'.
Here's a useful conversion for you...

You have: ml/l
You want: brteaspoon/brgallon
* 0.909218
/ 1.0998462

And another useful conversion...

You have: usteaspoon/usgallon
You want: brteaspoon/brgallon
* 1.1838776
/ 0.84468191

And now I'm off to ponder asking for a half stack of mulch...
--
Chris Dukes

Old 01-09-2009, 07:56 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

On Tue, 1 Sep 2009 14:29:35 +0000 (UTC), wrote:

Any chance ya'll could turn off the posting with a text version and
an HTML version and trim the quotes occasionally?

Please.

And Keith... there's this wonderful Unix program called 'units'.

Found it. I wish I had it last week.

Bob
Old 01-09-2009, 09:32 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

Jungle FeedRay , i took two readings one being 422 ppm other was 660 microsiemens .
To finish, i think what has put me off thinking the readings are wrong somehow is that the TDS is higher than i thought it would be @ 125 ppm N.
Especially at every watering .
i would normally peak @ approx 500ppm in summer then reduce ppm to a low of 250ppm in winter .
I will stick to 0.75 -gallon and see what the results are !
I apologise if this has dragged on , but i needed to know what i was doing is correct to the recommended dosage.
Cheers Keith

Old 01-09-2009, 09:53 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

If it makes you feel any better, The Greencare Orchid Special for RO
Water (the original so-called “MSU” fertilizer) contributes 1000µS to
the EC at 125 ppm N.

Old 12-09-2009, 06:17 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

wrote:

And Keith... there's this wonderful Unix program called 'units'.
Here's a useful conversion for you...

and for the Unix challenged, google
toolbar also does conversions
--

09=ix

Old 05-07-2011, 12:10 AM
Registered User

Our TAP MIX adaptation is not there yet as we accept agitation accepting all the ingredients, let us just say that one of the capacity needed can be acclimated for added purposes.... authoritative it actual harder to near impossible to get authority of. Have a babble with my ancestor at the BOGA fayre end of the month concerning your concentration.
__________________
Grow tents
Old 14-07-2011, 05:11 PM
Registered User

this site is very useful for me....
Jeringas Y Agujas

Jungle Feed Ray B[_2_] Orchids 0 02-09-2009 01:38 PM
To feed or not to feed... Elaine T Ponds 5 14-03-2005 09:39 AM
To feed or not to feed William Oertell Ponds 7 09-12-2003 08:02 PM
below 50F - feed or not to feed Superkitt Ponds 24 07-10-2003 04:42 AM
To Feed or Not to Feed GF Robert Ramirez Ponds 2 15-06-2003 11:20 PM