Old 17-02-2010, 06:00 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

Default so how's everybody doing

in the midlantic at least? i note Al is warm and snug and expecting a
plague of frogs; everybody else OK? 35 inches total on my deck. we
were out of power for 18 hours (all electric house); had votives going
as smudge pots for the orchids for a while. some of the little phals
look unhappy, but so far the only bud blast is on the psychopsis,
which has been blasting all winter. clearly it's unhappy about the
cold/dry/both.

oh, and it was snowing this morning. :\

--j_a
Old 17-02-2010, 09:55 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

On 2/17/2010 9:00 AM, jankey wrote:
in the midlantic at least? i note Al is warm and snug and expecting a
plague of frogs; everybody else OK? 35 inches total on my deck. we
were out of power for 18 hours (all electric house); had votives going
as smudge pots for the orchids for a while. some of the little phals
look unhappy, but so far the only bud blast is on the psychopsis,
which has been blasting all winter. clearly it's unhappy about the
cold/dry/both.

oh, and it was snowing this morning. :\

--j_a

Then I won't tell you what a great day it is in N Calif...

K Barrett
Old 18-02-2010, 01:10 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

and me, giving an international tone to the whole issue, should say
that all my botanical Cattleyas stayed outside at the balcony for the
winter (apart for C. dowiana and C. warneri) and they are fine.
Marios, Athens, Greece
Old 18-02-2010, 04:08 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

On Wed, 17 Feb 2010 09:00:10 -0800 (PST) in jankey wrote:
in the midlantic at least? i note Al is warm and snug and expecting a
plague of frogs; everybody else OK? 35 inches total on my deck. we
were out of power for 18 hours (all electric house); had votives going
as smudge pots for the orchids for a while. some of the little phals
look unhappy, but so far the only bud blast is on the psychopsis,
which has been blasting all winter. clearly it's unhappy about the
cold/dry/both.

oh, and it was snowing this morning. :\

I'm down in North Carolina where we got enough snow a couple weeks ago it
was impossible to catch a late show at the theatres one Saturday afternoon.

I'm sick with some crud with body aches and coughing, and NOW a stopped up
nose.. I blame my youngest for infecting me.

The cymbidiums are happy enough despite their neglect and the
Zelonkiia Onusta is very happy. Beyond that, the orchid bug is
somewhat waning for me. Not enough time, not enough space, and
just not giving me the same level of enjoyment as the garden.

--j_a

--
Chris Dukes

Old 18-02-2010, 05:56 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

jankey wrote:
in the midlantic at least? i note Al is warm and snug and expecting a
plague of frogs; everybody else OK? 35 inches total on my deck. we
were out of power for 18 hours (all electric house); had votives going
as smudge pots for the orchids for a while. some of the little phals
look unhappy, but so far the only bud blast is on the psychopsis,
which has been blasting all winter. clearly it's unhappy about the
cold/dry/both.

oh, and it was snowing this morning. :\

--j_a

Shovelled the walk five times Monday; I figured it would be easier to do
it many times an inch or two at a time than all 15 inches at once. Being
on a corner, I have a lot of walkway to do. Shovelled again Tuesday
morning and other than sweeping a light dusting off the porch, happy I
didn't have to go anywhere in it. It's not the roads that's the problem
here - it's the idiot central Ohio drivers who act like they've never
SEEN snow before - all cautious and going 10-15 mph. Yeah, real cautious
and safe - and they'll pull right in front of you three feet ahead going
20 mph less than you without so much as a turn signal on a slippery
road. Yeah, REAL safe!

The orchids are ok; the GH furnaces are doing fine. I did have to rake
the GH roof twice to let light in. And just over the fence, I saw today
the neighbor's front porch roof is on the ground and their carport on
the far side is about halfway down too!
Old 18-02-2010, 05:57 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

On Wed, 17 Feb 2010 23:18:35 -0500 in Diana Kulaga wrote:
Chris, what are you doing in NC, when you could be freezing here in FL?

It's probably because of the steady job in NC. The situation with the step
kids is also a factor.
It also doesn't help that my wife has declared points south of south carolina
to be too hot and humid for her in the summer and florida also is dubbed
"Too many bugs."

She's been liking the idea of Ohio River Valley parts of Kentucky and
bits of Upstate New York for when the kids are out of the house.

Diana (Blast Is Us!)

Old 10-03-2010, 07:29 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

On Fri, 19 Feb 2010 23:18:20 -0500 in tenman wrote:
If she can declare Fl 'too many bugs', then you NEED to declare any
parts further north 'too much snow'. Ohio River Valley??? Upstate Snow
York???

Is she KIDDING??

She's from Michigan. She misses snow.

But after laughing at her siblings with their snow shoveling
this winter... I don't think she misses shoveling snow.

--
Chris Dukes