Old 21-04-2010, 10:25 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

Default is this an orchid virus?

Over the years I have occasionally on holiday bought orchids in test-tubes
from botanical gardens in places like Singapore and Malaysia, and the tubes
have all had phytosanitary certificates.

They have mostly come along fine, but one small one has been struggling for
years. It's now about 4 inches high, and every time it puts out a new
shoot, the shoot blackens and dies. So I cut it off wiuth a sterilised
Stanley knife. Then it puts out another one, and this black spot starts
again, and I cut it off, so it never really gets going. I now have about
ten almost-starting shoots with bulbil things, but it comes to nothing.

Is there anything I can do about this, the plant is itching to grow, but I
don't know what to do to help it. Is this a virus or what?

I have several other orchids in the same room and they've all been fine,
whatever it is hasn't been transmitted to them, apparently.

Any help appreciated.

someone

Old 15-08-2010, 10:56 AM
Registered User

Well there are some virus which grows in the orchid, I am not if that's virus in your plant but if you feel that there are virus in your plant then why don't you spray some formula to it.

Are there virus resistant squash seeds? Virus killing my squash! goldtech Gardening 10 12-04-2013 02:16 PM
Orchid Virus? Xi Wang Orchids 2 22-01-2005 10:30 AM
West Nile Virus and mosquitoes. Don Gardening 11 31-05-2003 11:56 AM
[IBC] Advice needed on Plant Virus on a quince Jim Lewis Bonsai 2 10-04-2003 03:56 PM
Tomato wilt/virus??? Ian Mitchell Australia 0 05-04-2003 07:33 AM