Old 12-12-2003, 08:42 PM
Eric Hunt

Default Allergies to orchids (was: This Orchid Stinks)

Molli,

I had this argument with a roommate once. If your family members are
allergic to pollen and have a knee-jerk reaction to any floral scent as an
indicator of pollen, then tell them to calm down about orchids. As we know,
orchids do not have any airborne pollen for people to breathe into their
sinuses; they instead contain solid pollen masses called pollinia. So, any
pollen-allergic people are quite safe around a fragrant orchid. (or
non-fragrant one!)

-Eric in SF

"molli" wrote in message
news
30 spikes...sigh... and here I was happy my little one has four spikes
about
ready to open! I just love the fragrance on this one, and could fill my
whole house with them...but then my allergic family members would have to
move out...wait..that's not such a bad idea...all those rooms I would have
for orchids......

Old 12-12-2003, 09:14 PM
Al

I went through this with a pollen-allergic person too. She swore it was
pollen and not something else that the plants gave off as part of their
fragrance. She said she had been tested. She could not be persuaded to
calm down in the presence of orchids even after being shown physical proof
that orchids do not have air borne pollen particles. She seemed to get
'reactive' whenever she even *saw* a flower. I also know for a sneaky fact
that orchid fragrance from a hidden plant and the presence of unknown
pollinia blobs had no effect. It was visual proximity to a flower.

So, Molli, do not give up hope; you may still be able to clear out a few
rooms. Orchid do illogical things to people's brains. They attract some of
us beyond reason and they seem to be able to repel people at will when it
suits them.

Old 12-12-2003, 09:43 PM
Diana Kulaga

It's not just orchids. Some folks (like one of my sisters) swear that they
are allergic to one thing or another, and sure enough, they react
accordingly.

My sister says she can't be anywhere near where a cat has been. Hah! She
stayed with me once, right after I needed to find a new home for my cat
(years ago). She slept in the one room that the cat had called home, right
on the bed where he slept, and which I had not 'cleaned up'. No reaction
whatsoever.

The minute I told her, the next morning, she started choking and sneezing.
;oD

Diana

Old 12-12-2003, 11:13 PM
Shell

LOL All we had to do was let our relatives know we were participating in
the SETI at Home project. They were convinced we had joined a ufo cult.
They even sent one set of cousins to check it out. If I had known why they
suddenly came to visit and then acted like we were psychos of some kind I
would have greeted them at the door in an aluminum foil hat and said
"greetings, the master wants to speak to you."

Shell

. net...

Old 13-12-2003, 02:33 AM
Larry Dighera

On Fri, 12 Dec 2003 11:38:52 -0800, "Eric Hunt"
wrote in Message-Id: :

have a knee-jerk reaction to any floral scent

I have a very pungent, large flowered Zygo in the house now to provide
its floral scent. It's fragrance is so strong that it almost burns my
nostrils. It doesn't make me sneeze nor water my eyes, however it
does provide a constant nasal tickling sensation. But it's worth it.

Old 13-12-2003, 05:42 AM
Susan Erickson

wrote:

Molli,

I had this argument with a roommate once. If your family members are
allergic to pollen and have a knee-jerk reaction to any floral scent as an
indicator of pollen, then tell them to calm down about orchids. As we know,
orchids do not have any airborne pollen for people to breathe into their
sinuses; they instead contain solid pollen masses called pollinia. So, any
pollen-allergic people are quite safe around a fragrant orchid. (or
non-fragrant one!)

-Eric in SF

Does not help if the fragrance itself is what gives you the
headache. Sad to say - love them as I do - I am allergic to all
the ladies of the night. And quite a few like Wilsonara Golden
Afternoon, or a good Zygo.
SuE
Old 13-12-2003, 05:42 AM
molli

Yep, its the fragrance not the pollen triggers asthma attacks in kid and
hubby. They are very scent sensitive.

--

Hugs,
Molli

Old 13-12-2003, 02:43 PM
Ray

Me too, Larry. A Zygo Titanic was in my kitchen and it perfumed the entire
room. My wife thought it was overpowering and disgusting.

.. . . . . . . . . . .

Old 13-12-2003, 04:32 PM
Larry Dighera

On Sat, 13 Dec 2003 08:24:58 -0500, "Ray"
wrote in Message-Id:
:

Me too, Larry. A Zygo Titanic was in my kitchen and it perfumed the entire
room. My wife thought it was overpowering and disgusting.

Does it tickle your nostrils?

Mine is a Zygo intermedium 'Bolin' AM/AOS X Self JR1655. It not only
fills the room with its fragrance, but the entire house! There is a
similar Zygo outside, and it perfumes the yard for a 30' radius.
Old 13-12-2003, 06:02 PM
Wendy

Well, I have several plants that are situated about 15' outside our bedroom
& when
the breeze is right the fragrance wafts through and to my hubby, it act like
an aphrodisiac! *G*
--
Cheers Wendy
Remove PETERPAN for email reply

:

Old 13-12-2003, 08:33 PM
Larry Dighera

On Sat, 13 Dec 2003 08:43:38 -0800, "Wendy"
wrote in Message-Id: OkHCb.6831$7D3.5227@fed1read02:

Well, I have several plants that are situated about 15' outside our bedroom
& when
the breeze is right the fragrance wafts through and to my hubby, it act like
an aphrodisiac! *G*

Can you reveal the names of those?

Perhaps it's part of the orchids' survival methodology: providing
pseudo copulation stimuli in exchange for pollination. :-)

Have you been breeding them? ;-)

Old 13-12-2003, 09:02 PM
Wendy

"Larry Dighera" wrote in message
On Sat, 13 Dec 2003 08:43:38 -0800, "Wendy"
wrote in Message-Id: OkHCb.6831$7D3.5227@fed1read02:

Well, I have several plants that are situated about 15' outside our

bedroom
& when
the breeze is right the fragrance wafts through and to my hubby, it act

like
an aphrodisiac! *G*

Can you reveal the names of those? Yes,

Z. Lois = Mackayi x Titanic
Z. Mackayi 'Fantasia'
" 'Robusta'
" x Self
Z. Titanic x Z. John Banks

Perhaps it's part of the orchids' survival methodology: providing
pseudo copulation stimuli in exchange for pollination. :-)

Have you been breeding them? ;-) No *g*

Crimson Bottlebrush and allergies? Xilander Xinandu Australia 16 17-10-2020 05:30 PM
White Lies - where do we get all these cancers, allergies etc? pt1 aquachimp United Kingdom 17 16-12-2010 11:27 PM
Vegetable foliage allergies David in Normandy[_8_] United Kingdom 11 04-07-2009 11:32 PM
Fescue and allergies Eigenvector Lawns 3 22-08-2007 02:52 AM
This Orchid Stinks - PS Kenni Judd Orchids 0 14-12-2003 01:47 AM