Old 19-02-2004, 07:35 AM
Geir Harris Hedemark

Default Cymbidium potted in sponge-like material

I bought a cymbidium a couple of weeks back. It hasn't died yet, and
it is "lightweight" after a week or so, which makes me want to water
it.

It has been potted in a mix with bits of sponge (the stuff cheap
mattresses are made from).

Won't this increase the likelihood of me ending up with rotten roots
immensely?

Geir

Old 19-02-2004, 11:03 AM
Ray

If the chunks of sponge are coarse enough that there's lots of air flow, it
will probably be OK, but my inclination would be to repot it.

.. . . . . . . . . . .

Old 19-02-2004, 03:53 PM
Geir Harris Hedemark

"Ray" writes:
If the chunks of sponge are coarse enough that there's lots of air flow, it
will probably be OK, but my inclination would be to repot it.

Repotting it is, then. While flowering, even. If it dies, it dies.

Geir

Old 19-02-2004, 09:10 PM
kenty ;-\)

I would enjoy the flowers first then repot, it can`t be that unhappy if it
is flowering for you!

--
Thanks Keith

Old 19-02-2004, 10:31 PM
profpam

I have heard that blooms appear when plants are stressed -- to
paraphrase Bob Gordon; therefore, blooming sometimes means a means of
survival. In this manner a plant produces seed so that it species
survives.

.. . . Pam
Everything Orchid Management System
http://www.pe.net/~profpam/page3.html

Old 20-02-2004, 02:13 AM
wendy7

Geir, You could always cut the spike of flowers & put them in a vase.
I have done this to accidental breaks & they last a long time.
--
Cheers Wendy

Remove PETERPAN for email reply

Old 29-03-2011, 06:29 PM
Registered User

I accept heard that blooms arise if plants are fatigued -- to digest Bob Gordon; therefore, blooming sometimes agency a agency of survival. In this address a bulb produces berry so that it breed survives.
Pond Supplies

Luffa sponge gourd - no flowers OhioGuy Gardening 2 04-09-2007 09:43 PM
Odp: Cymbidium potted in sponge-like material samaki Orchids 0 21-02-2004 12:09 PM
sponge filter Ghislain Ponds 0 21-08-2003 03:32 AM
Sponge for filter in stream Mickey Ponds 4 21-08-2003 02:22 AM
Carbon/sponge filtration mediums? Tasslehoff Freshwater Aquaria Plants 2 20-04-2003 06:14 AM