Old 23-01-2003, 06:25 PM
Jbkkhawk

Default Home humidifiers

Hello members,

Does anyone have any recommendations of humidifiers for the home orchid grower.
I currently run an evaporative type unit but am only able to achieve 30%
relative humidity. Any ideas? Thanks.

Karl
Old 23-01-2003, 07:00 PM
molli

Karl, I'm using a Hankscraft cold humidifier, the type you use for babies.
Since I only have the one plant stand, I have it right next to it. Plastic
over the door, and I maintain 60%-80% humidity, depending on where on the
timer the cycle is. Only draw back is having to fill it 3x a day....

--
Hugs,
Molli

Happy 19103 (I am NOT Y2K compatible)

Old 24-01-2003, 03:17 PM
Gene Schurg

Karl,

For many years I grew houseplants in the living space all winter without a
humidifier. By February the spidermites and dry leaves had devastated the
plants. The static electricity was unbearable.

When replacing the forced air gas furnace I added a humidifier. It brings
the house to about a 30-40% relative humidity. It's great for my health (no
dry skin, dry sinuses, etc) and the plants have responded over the years. I
seldom have mite problems.

When I grew orchids in the basement I would use washing machine trays filled
with small gravel as the tray under the plants. I usually kept water in the
trays. That helped to elevate the humidity in the basement and ultimately
in the entire house. This year I have a greenhouse which I keep at about
80% humidity that feels great on a cold winter day. I've noticed that the
main house seems drier this year than in past years. I believe the trays
were helping keep the entire house more humid.

Since you say little about your environment I can only assume you are
growing under lights or near windows. I recommend the pebble trays with
water. Fans also help to move the air and enable the drier air to pick up
some of the moisture. Air movement also aids the plants in other ways, too.

If you live in an older home with hot water radiators you can add humidity
by trays of water on top of the radiator.

I don't think the humidifier alone is sufficient to do what you need. Even
in the greenhouse I find I have to wet the floor on dry days to keep the
winter air moist.

Good growing,
Gene

Old 24-01-2003, 06:25 PM
nanook

Sue is right. You need an enclosed space to give the humidifier a
chance at jacking up the humidity.
OR, the pebble trays with water are a easy way to go .
OR, Lowes sells a drum type that fits into your blower unit for the
whole house. It hooks into your water line and the airflow of the
blower turns the drum.
OR, Go to your near by Salvation Army store or pawn shop and look
around I have bought many cold and warm working units for 8 to 10
bucks. Upstairs I have a 20'x15' glassed in porch and run a non vented
natural gas heater and set a pan of water on top of it to radiate into
the room. It uses very small amount from humidifier in there to reach
about 60%. Downstairs I have a PVC frame covered in greenhouse
plastic (12'x15') heated by electric heater and the heat from the
ballists and lamps (in summer the ballists sit outside the room and
fans vent the lamp heat outside) This room requires a humidifier
running 24/7. Still for 8 bucks and 1and a half gallons of water a day
It is able to stay at 75%.
There are a lot of ways, just depends on your budget, the amount of
room, the amount of plants, the temperture, and the space involved.
AIN'T GROWIN GRAND! JRT

Old 24-01-2003, 10:52 PM
solo_voyager

I use a Bemis Model 826-X00 (the X denotes color). My place is only
~1k sqft. I can normally keep it at ~50%RH and even in the 40%sRH when
it's 10 to 20 below outside with all my double-pane windows icing up.
It's rated at 8 gal/day and holds about 5 gals. It normally uses about
3 gal/day but when it's really cold it can use 6 to 7 gal/day. There
are larger models available rated at 11 gal/day. We have exceptionally
good water here so I only need to change out the filter every couple
of years or so. It sits in one corner of my livingroom and RH is
monitored at the other end of the room. I don't check the other rooms
but assume they follow pretty close, though probably a bit drier. I do
not want higher RH because of the potential for damage to the building
interior. My plants do very well under these conditions although
leaves tend to be a bit leathery. Other local enthusiasts that grow in
GHs are amazed at my results at such low humidity. Adult orchids are
very adaptable and seem to get used to these conditions. Also, picking
your plants and potting/mounting methods makes a difference.
Good luck with yours.
S V

Old 25-01-2003, 02:46 AM
Karen

Jbkkhawk wrote:
Hello members,

Does anyone have any recommendations of humidifiers for the home orchid grower.
I currently run an evaporative type unit but am only able to achieve 30%
relative humidity. Any ideas? Thanks.

Karl

I have a Lasko Natural Cascade in a 10 by 12 room that can get the
humidity up to decent amounts, if it does not get too cold outside
(yesterday it was -7 F and I had some problems at first until I could
get the room warmed up enough - it is a sun room to boot).
Karen

Old 26-01-2003, 02:21 PM
Jbkkhawk

Thank you all for your input! I grow my plants under lights (4ft. flourescent)
at a shaded western window in the colder months. They go outside under shade
cloth in the warmer months. I've tried closing the door to the room where the
plants are located and it's helping a bit already. I may try a heavier duty
humidifier as well. Thanks again, and good growing to all.
Karl