Old 24-01-2003, 11:11 PM
Frank H. Kirchner

Default I should live in the tropics!

It's the worst cold snap here in Virginia in years! And the electricity
failed last night. The greenhouse temperature reistered a low of 34. Are
we a happy camper today!? :-( At least it wasn't truly freezing.

Two questions:
How long before my plants will tell me how much damage they sustained? My
collection is your typical serious hobbyist of about 500 plants rangeing
through most of the comonly grown plants-vandas to phals.

If I add back-up heating for such emergencies, how damage could I expect
from a kerosene heater vs. a propane heater. Are both likely to blast buds?

Why don't I live in Hawaii?

Thanks.

--
Frank H. Kirchner

Old 25-01-2003, 02:08 AM
Gene Schurg

Frank,

I purchased an inexpensive heater at Home Depot that attaches to the top of
a BBQ Propane Cylinder. Luckily I haven't had to use it yet but for $40 I
figured it was good insurance.

I think I started a discussion about emergency heating back in October. I
believe Kero gives off more nasties that would affect the plants and cause
the buds to drop.

If it was dry in the Greenhouse and it proves to be a one time drop you will
probably be good. Remember that if you read 34 on one thermometer the
microclimates may be warmer (or cooler).

Keep us posted so we know what to expect if it happens to us.

BTW....I heard it was 19 degrees in Orlando last night.....even the palm
trees are shivering.

Good growing,
Gene

news

Old 25-01-2003, 04:48 AM
Dave

Frank,

That is why I built a greenhouse. I have a shade house and covered it with
plastic - when it was cold I used an electric heater. I still had problems
when the temp decided to drop below 32, last night it got to 28 here (the
gulf coast of central Florida). Good luck, wish you the best.

Old 25-01-2003, 03:52 PM
Ted Byers

"Dave" wrote in message .com...
Frank,

That is why I built a greenhouse. I have a shade house and covered it with
plastic - when it was cold I used an electric heater. I still had problems
when the temp decided to drop below 32, last night it got to 28 here (the
gulf coast of central Florida). Good luck, wish you the best.
"Frank H. Kirchner" wrote in message
news
It's the worst cold snap here in Virginia in years! And the electricity
failed last night. The greenhouse temperature reistered a low of 34. Are
we a happy camper today!? :-( At least it wasn't truly freezing.

Hi guys,

You really call those temperatures cold? ;-) Those temperatures
sound positively balmy! Compare with central Ontario for a little
over the past week: -27 degrees Celcius at dawn! I see the
temperatures we just had as merely a little chilly: not too too bad if
you're dressed for it, and if you have a vehicle like mine which will
start easily regardless of the weather. A question of perspective,
and acclimatization, I suppose. ;-) The only problem I am seeing is
the dryness. My humidifier is going full blast, and still the
relative humidity indoors is only 40%!

I have seen an effect on some of my catts: the very tips of some of
the new pseudobulbs have turned black. There are no other symptoms
that I can see, and my phals (even the ones in bud) and dends seem to
be unaffected, but I am watching especially closely.

Cheers,

Ted
Old 25-01-2003, 09:25 PM
Gareth Wills

I understand your situation very well. I live in SC, near Augusta GA, and we
got down to 10 Thurs night which is the coldest we've had in 20 years. My
greenhouse pulled through just fine. I heat with a propane fired furnace in
1/2 which stays at 60-65 min, and with a kerosene 150,000BTU forced air in
the 1/2 that stays at 45-50 min. The cymbidiums, den. nobile types, zygos,
pleione, hibiscus and other tropicals have never had a problem with the
kerosene. I do vent daily when possible to change the air. I have 2 large
kerosene heaters of the type that were designed to use in the house that I
have used in emergency in the warmer section when the power goes out (hasn't
in 3 years). When I did, the only effects I noticed were some damage to the
V coerulea buds, but that may have been because of placement of the heater.
Filling and maintaining them is a pain but nothing compared to the loss of
the plants. I am presently considering a backup electric generator which
automatically kicks in when the power goes out. This is also a boon in the
summer when an electrical storm takes out a transformer and you're left with
no power for fans when the sun comes out! Expensive, but not compared to
the damage no electricity can cause. Hope things are ok for you. I've had
phals pull through a 35 degree night with rather minor setbacks (they may
skip blooming this year). The vandas may not like you for a little longer,
but should pull through. Best of luck. Gary

Old 26-01-2003, 07:46 AM
Karen

Ted Byers wrote:
"Dave" wrote in message .com...

[...]

I am starting to see problems. I cannot keep my grow space consistently
warm and humid unless I run supplemental heat & humidity 24/7 (which I
do not do).

My Phals have basically stopped in their tracks. I have lost some small
buds that have just fallen off. The larger ones that were further
advanced are at a stand still.

I like it when the sun comes out. In the afternoon it helps the
temperatures go up on their own.

I lost my job beginning in January, so I am hesitant on running up my
electric bill. If I were working, it would be a different story. I
estimate that the heater and humidifier runs @10-12 hours a day.

My plants are in a sun room, but the architect didn't put enough heating
vents to compensate for the windows (it is hotter than h@ll in summer
even with the air conditioner on and I have overhangs to block out some
of the sun).