Old 29-05-2004, 03:06 AM
Gene Schurg

Default Shell No-pest-strips

Do they still make these?

In some of the old orchid magazines I've been reading they refer to these as
being a good way to control orchid pests in the greenhouse.

I haven't seen them in a long time but then I haven't been looking for them
either.

Good Growing,
Gene

Old 29-05-2004, 03:06 AM
John DeGood

Gene Schurg wrote:
Do they still make these?

I found this at

http://www.cr.nps.gov/museum/publica...icides2-17.pdf

PESTICIDE
Dichlorvos C4H7Cl2O4P

PHYSICAL PROPERTIES
clear, slightly yellow liquid with a mild odor; combustible

HEALTH EFFECTS
suspected carcinogen, can affect the central nervous system

ROUTE OF ENTRY
inhalation, ingestion, skin

TYPE
insecticide

HANDLING
Nitrile gloves, Tyvek clothes (if possible), respirator,safety glasses

SYNONYMS AND TRADE NAMES
Unitox, Lindan, DDVP, Vapona, Shell No-Pest Strips, Flie Die, Nuvan,
Astrobot, Cypona
Old 29-05-2004, 04:08 AM
Gene Schurg

They make them sound pretty bad. We used to have them around the house all
the time when I was growing up. I surprised I survived!

Old 29-05-2004, 06:05 AM
Steve

Several years ago, I remember looking for them on the internet. I
don't remember why but I assume it had to do with orchids.
After searching, I reached the conclusion that Shell stopped making
them and another company took over the idea for a while then they
stopped too. I may have reached the wrong conclusion and I may even
be remembering wrong but I think they were no longer available when
I was looking.

Steve

Old 29-05-2004, 02:09 PM
doug houseman

The active chemical in them was banned by the EPA back in the late
1980's/early 1990's. They were reformulated, but not as effective...so
Shell sold the rights....That company did not have the marketing muscle
to make it.