Old 01-10-2004, 11:32 PM
J Fortuna

Default Intergeneric Onc Hybrid: to buy or not to buy?

My local plant nursery has some really attractive intergeneric hybrids for
sale, including Bllra Marfitch 'Howard's Dream' and Colm Wildcat, and I am
quite tempted to buy one of them, however I would not want to buy them if my
conditions are such that they couldn't possibly do well.

I grow on the windowsills or rather on shelves next to north-facing windows.
I supplement this with growlamps so that I can achieve medium light right
under a lamp, but I am not sure whether I could have medium light at leaf
level for a Bllra since they are rather tall plants. So the light is low to
medium, but mostly low.

The temps in our apartment are usually around 70-80 degrees Fahrenheit.
Sometimes in the summer the air-conditioning doesn't work though and then it
can be in the upper 80s or in the low 90s for a short period of time. In the
winters, especially at night the temp might be in the 60s.

Humidity-wise we try to keep it above 50% at all times -- easy in the
summer, harder but doable in the winter.

I successfully grow Phals, Dtps, Paphs, and a cochleanthes (though the last
has a bud-blasting habit, it's currently blooming and has a chance at a
second successful bud at this point, so I guess it counts as a success
though the conditions are definitely not ideal for it). I have never tried
anything else yet.

Based on all this would you advise me to go ahead and try an intergeneric
Onc hybrid, or should I leave it alone? I am also considering getting a
miniature cattleya at some point and putting it right under a lamp. Anything
else I could try in these conditions? It's really important to me that I
don't get something that does not really have a chance at flourishing here,
but I am feeling like experimenting a bit with non-Phals.

Your advice will be greatly appreciated!

Joanna

Ladybirds again.. to buy or not to buy Mentalguy2k8[_2_] United Kingdom 15 18-05-2011 07:17 PM
Bumblebees!! To buy or not to buy... That is the question! Pest Effects United Kingdom 0 15-05-2011 07:23 AM
Intergeneric Onc Hybrid: to buy or not to buy? J Fortuna Orchids 25 15-10-2004 08:35 PM
hybrid T not taking John Roses 4 17-03-2004 02:41 AM
hybrid T not taking John Roses 0 15-03-2004 03:58 AM