Old 16-10-2004, 04:59 PM
Miller

Default Rookie question about a phal losing a leaf.

I am new to orchid growing so this question may sound stupid.

I have a phal, specifically a Taipei Gold x Brother Laurence, that I bought
about two months ago. It has two spikes with blooms. Both spikes are growing
new blooms while the oldest blooms are wilting. It has grown one new leaf
which is now the same size as the others. The question: one of the bottom
leaves has turned yellow and wilted over the last month or so. Is this
normal or should I be concerned? The other leaves, about four of them,
appear very healthy.

I live in Florida and the plants are kept outdoors in a covered, screened
patio area. This plant gets about 30 minutes of direct sunlight through a
screen in the late afternoon.

Thanks in advance for any insight.

Miller

Old 16-10-2004, 06:13 PM
Ray

Nope, nothing to worry about. Sounds like you're doing everything
correctly, and the plant is just done with that leaf...perfectly normal.

..

Old 16-10-2004, 06:25 PM
tbell

On Sat, 16 Oct 2004 07:59:49 -0700, Miller wrote
(in article FHacd.822$7d7.168@trnddc04):

I am new to orchid growing so this question may sound stupid.

I have a phal, specifically a Taipei Gold x Brother Laurence, that I bought
about two months ago. It has two spikes with blooms. Both spikes are growing
new blooms while the oldest blooms are wilting. It has grown one new leaf
which is now the same size as the others. The question: one of the bottom
leaves has turned yellow and wilted over the last month or so. Is this
normal or should I be concerned? The other leaves, about four of them,
appear very healthy.

I live in Florida and the plants are kept outdoors in a covered, screened
patio area. This plant gets about 30 minutes of direct sunlight through a
screen in the late afternoon.

Thanks in advance for any insight.

Miller

Never anything stupid about trying to find an answer. If there were
never anyone with a question I could answer, I'd be very sad.
Some phals will do just as you describe, and in fact some folks will
deliberately invite a second bloom by cutting the spike of a wilted bloom
just above a lower node. Others worry that allowing a phal to bloom
sequentially will deplete the plant's resources. I've never had a problem
with that, although phal blooms last so long, that I'm usually ready to put a
plant to sleep by cutting the spike at its base. Most will then bloom
annually.
It's perfectly normal for the lowest leaves to turn yellow and drop off
as new ones grow from the crown. Your plant sounds very healthy.

Tom
Walnut Creek, CA
Nikon CP 5700

Old 16-10-2004, 06:28 PM

Hi Miller,
I'm new to orchids too, but can tell you one of mine did that and
the rest of the plant didn't change. I removed the yellow leave and it
was fine, probably just a real old leaf. I would be more worried about
our dreaded mealies! Mealy bugs are the absolute worst things to get
rid of and outside they'll gladly visit your plant. Good luck......Burr

Old 16-10-2004, 07:24 PM
Miller

"Ray" wrote in message
Nope, nothing to worry about. Sounds like you're doing everything
correctly, and the plant is just done with that leaf...perfectly normal.

Thanks, Ray.

Old 16-10-2004, 07:24 PM
Miller

Old 16-10-2004, 07:24 PM
Miller

Old 16-10-2004, 07:28 PM
Miller

wrote in message
Hi Miller,
I'm new to orchids too, but can tell you one of mine did that and
the rest of the plant didn't change. I removed the yellow leave and it
was fine, probably just a real old leaf. I would be more worried about
our dreaded mealies! Mealy bugs are the absolute worst things to get
rid of and outside they'll gladly visit your plant. Good luck......Burr

Thanks, rambler. No mealys yet but I will deal with them if they come.

Old 16-10-2004, 10:27 PM
Diana Kulaga

Thanks, rambler. No mealys yet but I will deal with them if they come.

Hi, Miller and Rambler,

Yes, here in FL we do see mealies sometimes, but in my experience they are
pretty easy to overcome. At the first sight of them, spray the entire plant
with alcohol with some dish soap added. Repot, spraying the roots with the
same solution. Retreat in 5 to 7 days and you should be home free.

Diana