Old 12-12-2004, 02:42 PM
Reka

kenty ;-) wrote:
The phal should do fine there in the winter,but as soon as the sun become
strong in spring ,i would move it further into the room.I wouldnt place the
plant to close to the window as at night can become a cold area,especially
on a windowsill with curtains drawn. I have seen someone
growing/re-flowering phals on a bay windowsill with really good results.

You see, I would have said the opposite. The cold nights are good for
them, as long as it doesn't get below 13°C/55°C. But you will need a
sheer curtain now while the sun is low, and more so as the days get
longer. Some tissue paper taped to the window behind the plant helps,
too, if you don't have or want a curtain.
Where are you? That can make a big difference as well.

--
Reka

http://www.rolbox.it/hukari/index.html

Reclaim Your Inbox!

Rediscover the Web!
http://www.mozilla-europe.org/en/products/firefox/

They're free!
Old 12-12-2004, 04:37 PM
kenty ;-\)

Reka ,its not the temp drop but the possibility of cold draughts ,even still
in my conservatory I have recently noticed it drops to below 55c & I would
expect it even colder next to the window so I would have the plants further
into the room .were you should still get the temp difference at night.But we
all grow in different conditions,I struggled to grow in the house and
couldn't wait to get a greenhouse even if it is small,we couldn't stand the
constant mess/knocking pots over & watering etc. Also I think we flap abit
about the temp difference and pamper our orchids toooooo much. I am
surprised at how much better the plants are doing in a greenhouse.

--
Thanks Keith,England,UK.

Old 12-12-2004, 05:20 PM
wendy7

I was told that the cooling period for phals is only for a couple
of weeks to initiate spikes, they like warm & cozy temps like us,
which is why they are good indoor/windowsill growers?

--
Cheers Wendy

Remove PETERPAN for email reply

Old 12-12-2004, 05:34 PM
kenty ;-\)

Wendy,Do you think we worry too much about the temp difference,i have been
keeping a 60f min in the greenhouse.The temp at the moment is struggling to
reach 65f in the day, in the last month the temp has reached 70f/above on
average once a week when the sun has really been doing its bit.

--
Thanks Keith,England,UK.

Old 12-12-2004, 10:22 PM
sandra

Right now, the orchid will be staying in South Texas
I live in Boston, but I'm in the process of moving to New York, and I
want it be in a stable place.....
Okay....I also wanted to ask about Species orchids, what's the
difference between them and hybrids....any differences in care?
-Sandra

Old 12-12-2004, 11:02 PM
kenty ;-\)

Care of a plant goes on the plant itself not wether it is a species or
hybrid,every plant has its own needs.I found these terms for you to
read,hope you dont fall asleep :-).
Term Species
Groups of actually (or potentially) interbreeding natural populations which
are reproductively isolated from other such groups" (Mayr, 1942, p.120; Ref.
33179); group of animals or plants having common characteristics and able to
breed together to produce fertile offspring, so that they maintain their
`separateness' from other groups; the basic rank of biological nomenclature.
Taxonomically, the name of a category of organisms below the genus-group.
Abbreviated as sp. (singular) or spp. (plural).
Term Hybrid
hi´brId) , term applied by plant and animal breeders to the offspring of a
cross between two different subspecies or species, and by geneticists to the
offspring of parents differing in any genetic characteristic (see
genetics ). The mule , the hybrid steer, and hybrid corn are examples of
hybrids produced by breeders, but some animal species may cross-breed in the
wild, as the gray wolf and coyote sometimes do. Hybridization between
cultivars or varieties is often used in agriculture to obtain greater vigor
or growth (heterosis). Hybrid vigor is achieved by crossing two inbred
strains (see breeding ). The first generation shows greatly increased vigor
and a better yield primarily because many genes for recessive, often
deleterious, traits from one parent are masked by corresponding dominant
genes in the other parent.
--
Thanks Keith,England,UK.
oups.com...

Phal in My South Window sandra Orchids 0 12-12-2004 12:44 AM
South window The Enigma Orchids 2 23-12-2003 04:42 AM
Orchids in the Kitchen window Douglas Bolt Orchids 42 27-02-2003 11:48 PM
Orchids in the Kitchen window - Thanks for sharing your pics profpam Orchids 2 25-02-2003 04:39 AM
Seed starting in sunny window: additional light required Tim B Gardening 1 27-01-2003 07:06 PM