Old 12-12-2004, 01:10 PM
diane

Default Making blooms last longer

What are your recommendations for getting the longest live out of a bloom,
possibly slowing down a spike. I guess in some cases one may hope to speed
up a spike for an event.

Our local orchid show is in February, Nashua, NH, it will be my first entry
as a home grower....if my plants cooperate.

--
Diane

Old 12-12-2004, 05:51 PM
Kenni Judd

Diane: Once the flowers have opened, they will last longer if you keep the
plant a little cooler and shadier [and water by hand, so that the flowers
don't get wet].

Extra cool and shade can also slow down developing spikes/buds, but in some
plants this will affect flower color and arrangement. [Sometimes
positively, sometimes not ...] E.g., I saw a plant at a judging a few years
ago that Bob Fuchs had moved to deep shade to try to "stretch" the spikes to
get better flower arrangement -- it worked, but the color suffered
tremendously. Our own Epc. Frances Dyer, on the other hand, is a shy
bloomer if grown shady all the time, but the flower color improves quite a
bit if we give it extra shade as soon as buds are initiated.
--
Kenni Judd
Juno Beach Orchids

Old 12-12-2004, 11:40 PM
diane

I live on a wooded lot- so cool shade is my specialty-we will see what I can
do in the next 2 months.

--
Diane