Old 28-02-2005, 09:07 AM

Default Wilting leaves, new at orchids

Help, my blooming orchids (regular grocery store variety) are suffering
wilting leaves. The leaves are limp and wrinkled and not getting
better. I am misting, they are in a filtered all day sun window and
each have one flower stem.
What am I doing wrong? I am fairly new to these beautiful flowers and
want to expand my varieties, but not until I can keep these ones alive.
Thanks!
Nina

Old 28-02-2005, 04:45 PM
wendy7

Hi Nina, sounds like your plants may have rotting roots which
is usually because of overwatering & sitting in water?
Do you have name tags? This would help to know more about
their culture.

--
Cheers Wendy

Remove PETERPAN for email reply

Old 28-02-2005, 08:01 PM
NinaW

Here are what the tags say,
"phalaenopsis, Hamptons snowflake X Sabine Queen x Phal. Pinlong
Memory)"
and "phalaenopsis, taisuco firebird"

I try not to over water, they only get a good water about twice a
month. I did start to water more when they started to wilt, it didn't
hurt or help.
Thanks!
Nina

Old 28-02-2005, 11:36 PM
Kenni Judd

Take the plants out of the pots and see if they have any live roots. If
they do, re-pot into fresh mix. If they don't, well, they might be saved
but ... how much time and effort do you want to spend?

Misting is something we do not recommend; it will not provide much help with
humidity and can lead to disease problems.

Chances are, your grocery-store plants were badly stressed by maltreatment
before you purchased them. Before you give up, buy a nice healthy one from
a real nursery in your neighborhood and get growing instructions while
you're there. I think you'll see a big difference.
--
Kenni Judd
Juno Beach Orchids

oups.com...

Old 01-03-2005, 01:03 AM
NinaW

Thanks, I will check the roots. I should clarify that one of the plants
is recovering, the white one. These both have sentimental ties for me,
so I will try to save them. (One was given to me at the birth of my
daughter and the other one, the sick one, was a gift when I was in
hospital fighting for my own life last year.) I should also mention
that they are both blooming right now.

I did not know that misting was not good! What do I do instead? They
are in the kitchen, beside the sink and in a filtered window.
I really love my orchids and want to learn more about caring for them
so that I may expand my "collection".

Nina

Old 01-03-2005, 02:41 AM
NinaW

O.K..... the roots were rotting. There are few healthy roots left, just
the ones that were growing in the air anyways. Now what?
Nina

Old 01-03-2005, 03:05 PM
wendy7

Hi there Nina,
The url below is a good start. (shows pics etc.)
http://www.midpacificorchids.citymax...age/235341.htm

You need to repot your plants. Get yourself some orchid bark mix &
soak & drain it.
Cut the soft brown roots off, rinse the remaining roots. I use Physan to
wash everything, including tools.
Use a smaller pot, also stake the plant, they like to feel secure.
Let it sit for a week or two then water. Take your plant to the sink
& flush the water through & let it drain. You can fertilize at 1/4
strength each time.
Overwatering, also plants in a damp area with no fresh air is what
causes the roots to rot, in my opinion. Use a small fan.
Ask questions here there's always good advice.
Also if you search on Google - AOS phalaenopsis
there is lots to read.
Good luck, I hope you can save your plants.

Old 01-03-2005, 05:38 PM
NinaW

Thanks Wendy! When I checked the roots I saw that the plant was potted
in a bark mulch, and the wood was downright soggy. I spread the mix on
a sheet and "baked" it in the oven on low to dry it out. I then trimmed
the dead stuff and repotted the firedbird. I knew about overwatering! I
think that what happened is that water from the sink has been splashing
into the tray under the plant. The pot had a moss plug that would have
wicked the water into the mulch. I was watering without knowing it. The
other plant does not have this set up, so it is not nearly so bad, only
a few rotten roots. (This one I need to repot because it has outgrown
it's pot).
I think I may be checking into this NG from time to time! I have wanted
to start collecting more orchids but was intimidated at the prospect.
This NG, unlike many others, has people who are very helpful and
willing to share! Thank-you!
Nina

Old 02-03-2005, 12:57 AM
Kenni Judd

Nina: If you really need to raise your humidity, the best choice is a
humidifier. Pebble trays [a deep tray with gravel, and then water at a
level lower than the top of the gravel] are another option; I don't think
they do a whole lot of good, but they probably do more than just the
occasional spritz on the leaves. Plus they make watering more convenient.
Misting the leaves of a plant raises the humidity for a very brief time; and
if the foliage stays wet at night, you are just begging for disease
problems.

But chances are, your plants will put up with your ambient humidity so that
you don't have to do _anything_ instead. Just water thoroughly when the
plants need it.

Here in So. Fla., we are blessed/cursed with a major abundance of humidity,
but the plants will make do with far less. In fact, ours is often _more_
than optimum. The person who figures out how to export our excess to you
folks in need will probably become richer than Bill Gates!
--
Kenni Judd
Juno Beach Orchids

Old 02-03-2005, 06:08 AM
wendy7

T'is my pleasure Nina, also read the Phalaenopsis post by Leonie
with replies from Kathy & Kenni, very knowledgeable girls.
Keep in touch.