Old 03-11-2005, 06:01 PM

Default Anyone know of a source of truckloads of crushed volcanic rock?

I am in the planning stages currently for building two 60'x30'x12'high
combination shop & office buildings. Both buildings will be located in
NW Kansas or SW Nebraska. I have decided that one of these buildings
will be built with straw bales and I am considering Earthbag
construction using crushed volcanic rock for the second building. I
want to do the shop/office building first and then make the decision
later whether I will use the straw or the Earthbag construction for my
main residence. Since we have a family farm in the NW Kansas area straw
building materials are not a problem but finding an economical source
of crushed volcanic rock (one inch in diameter or less) is
questionable. Do any of you know of a good source of truckload
quantities of crushed volcanic rock within 600 miles of the Tri-State
area of CO/NE/KS? I have the use of a tractor trailer with a 1400
bushel capacity so transportation isn't that big of a deal to me.
Any information is appreciated but please no E-mail replies.
Dennis

Old 08-11-2005, 03:00 PM
Robby Lansaw

While vocanic rock sounds interesting, I would consider using limestone
instead. I'm not sure where exactly you are in the Kansas region, but
I'm aware of Southwest Missouri having an abundance of limestone avail.

Post mining, the old quarries are fitted with refrig equipment and act
as massive coolers. Limestone has some solid insulation properties, and
should be on a short list of consideration.

Chookie wrote:
In article .com,
wrote:

I am in the planning stages currently for building two 60'x30'x12'high
combination shop & office buildings. Both buildings will be located in
NW Kansas or SW Nebraska. I have decided that one of these buildings
will be built with straw bales and I am considering Earthbag
construction using crushed volcanic rock for the second building.

snip
Do any of you know of a good source of truckload
quantities of crushed volcanic rock within 600 miles of the Tri-State
area of CO/NE/KS?

If it's that hard to find the materials, and you have to waste so much
energy/money to get them, perhaps it's not a good choice. Why not make them
both strawbale?

OTOH perhaps Earthbag construction (I've never heard of it before) doesn't
really need "volcanic" rock. In fact, which volcanic rock are they talking
about? Pumice? Obsidian? Granite? Perhaps there is something of similar
hardness locally.

--
Chookie -- Sydney, Australia

"In Melbourne there is plenty of vigour and eagerness, but there is
nothing worth being eager or vigorous about."
Francis Adams, The Australians, 1893.

Old 08-11-2005, 04:42 PM

On 3 Nov 2005 10:01:43 -0800, wrote:

[...]

you are not going to get any source of volcnic rock in that area but
as far I know all you need is atype type that isn't to disolve on
(avoid limestone) but shale or stronger sandstone shopuld do fine

Usenet Zone Free Binaries Usenet Server
More than 140,000 groups
Unlimited download

Volcanic rock? BruceM Orchids 15 01-12-2007 05:13 PM
Volcanic orchid [Summer1964] ID help? C. Nick Kruzer Orchids 12 27-06-2006 07:04 AM
Onyx Gravel, Flourite, & Crushed Lava Rock? Dances With Ferrets Freshwater Aquaria Plants 1 25-05-2004 12:11 PM
Volcanic Lava Rock GrlIntrpted Orchids 22 01-04-2004 06:53 PM
Volcanic rock as potting material gal Orchids 7 22-03-2003 07:20 PM