Old 09-10-2007, 04:43 AM posted to alt.permaculture

Default Leaves as cheap vermicompost N supplement?

Plants fed the initial bit of worm castings are showing classic
symptoms of nitrogen deficiency, older, lower leaves yellowing
as the mobile nutrient is taken by otherwise very healthy newer
growth. Most of the worms' diet is newsprint, because my family
isn't vegetarian, so I have little in the way of greens to feed my
herd.
Any reason I can't just go out and grab a handful of green leaves
from either weeds or trees to throw into my bin? If so, are there
any species preferrable or verbotten as worm food? I assume
black walnut, for example, would be lethal.

Old 09-10-2007, 07:00 PM posted to alt.permaculture

g'day ferd,

we do our worm farming in our gardens now cuts out the middle man and
gives the worms a broader spectrum of material to consume.

we aren't vegetariians either but we like eating lots of our home
grown vege's and that creates kitchen scraps which goes to the garden
along with any other rottable stuff from the kitchen.

we mulch our gardens heavily with green type mulches and this pretty
much keeps all in balance.

have you thought of approaching your local green grocer and getting
some of the scrap they generate, the big supermarkets may not want to
recycle theirs for you to use as they would think maybe you will use
it as food and not buy from them then?? even ask neighbours.

also check out your local coffee shop some of the bigger ones and get
hold of their used coffee grounds to add to the garden.

snipped
With peace and brightest of blessings,

len & bev

--
"Be Content With What You Have And
A World That You May Not Understand."

http://www.lensgarden.com.au/
Old 09-10-2007, 11:36 PM posted to alt.permaculture

On Oct 9, 2:00 pm, len garden wrote:
g'day ferd,

we do our worm farming in our gardens now cuts out the middle man and
gives the worms a broader spectrum of material to consume.

So do I. I stopped using pesticides years ago and let patches of
garden go to weeds. Mowing them periodically feeds the
nightcrawlers, who do a better job turning the soil than I
can with no damage to soil stratification and no effort on my
part.

The worms in my cellar bin produce easy to harvest fertilizer
for container plants. I'm not sold 100% on recycling, except
as a feelgood measure to make citizens feel somehow involved.
I am, however, sold on the castings, which cost me $10 U.S.
per pint at the only garden shop that carries them. Someone's
getting rich selling shit.

we aren't vegetariians either but we like eating lots of our home
grown vege's and that creates kitchen scraps which goes to the garden
along with any other rottable stuff from the kitchen.

we mulch our gardens heavily with green type mulches and this pretty
much keeps all in balance.

Use lots of buckwheat and rye here for that purpose. Great
for smothering weeds, too.

have you thought of approaching your local green grocer and getting
some of the scrap they generate, the big supermarkets may not want to
recycle theirs for you to use as they would think maybe you will use
it as food and not buy from them then?? even ask neighbours.

also check out your local coffee shop some of the bigger ones and get
hold of their used coffee grounds to add to the garden.

8 cup a day habit. I'd probably overfeed the critters.

What's the N content of coffee grounds?