Garden design question

Old 03-04-2010, 08:37 PM

Post Garden design question

Right, where do I start? We have bought a house with a rock face behind us and a very steep uncultivated garden which has been totally overgrown with brambles after 10 years of neglect. The house and the garden is surrounded by a protected woodland which hosts deer, badgers, foxes and many other species.

The garden is south facing and gets sunshine (ell, not so much at the minute).

The biggest problems we have is the amount of water coming down the rock face behind the house as well as down the garden, and also how we could possibly develop layered terraces to plant vegetables and fruit trees.

I was wondering how we could possibly utilise the water that is flowing down the bank? I think any vegetable garden needs a bit of a pond to encourage insect eaters to protect the vegetables. How do I collect the water without leaves and rubbish washing down and blocking the drains?

Also, how do I then move this water up the garden to use to irrigate the vegetables?

Second question: Who should I speak to about possible problems in digging and building retainer walls? Am scared some of the soil and trees may move down the bank. Any advice will be appreciated.

Many thanks