GardenBanter.co.uk

-   Permaculture (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/permaculture/)
-   -   does frost hurt spring planted onions (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/permaculture/202577-does-frost-hurt-spring-planted-onions.html)

Pat Peracchio 11-03-2012 05:12 PM

does frost hurt spring planted onions

Much has been said regarding garlic but not much about onions. I ordered Walla Walla onions and they came yesterday. Connecticut last frost in not for another month or so. They came in bundles and have green sprouts. Should I wait awhile to plant them.

allen73 26-03-2012 11:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pat Peracchio (Post 953124)
Much has been said regarding garlic but not much about onions. I ordered Walla Walla onions and they came yesterday. Connecticut last frost in not for another month or so. They came in bundles and have green sprouts. Should I wait awhile to plant them.

When growing spring onions, they can just as easily be planted indoor gardening in a pot as outdoors in a patch. The best time to plant them is the end of spring in May-June in northern hemisphere and November-December in southern hemisphere. Obviously it depends on your climate and situation; so many gardeners can plant earlier than this. There are also some varieties that can be grown in winter in milder climates or in pots indoors or in a greenhouse over winter.

Finley South 11-06-2012 11:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by allen73 (Post 954230)
When growing spring onions, they can just as easily be planted indoor gardening in a pot as outdoors in a patch. The best time to plant them is the end of spring in May-June in northern hemisphere and November-December in southern hemisphere. Obviously it depends on your climate and situation; so many gardeners can plant earlier than this. There are also some varieties that can be grown in winter in milder climates or in pots indoors or in a greenhouse over winter.

Generally frost will hurt an onion plant a little but it shouldn't kill it