Old 11-03-2012, 06:12 PM
Registered User

Default does frost hurt spring planted onions

Much has been said regarding garlic but not much about onions. I ordered Walla Walla onions and they came yesterday. Connecticut last frost in not for another month or so. They came in bundles and have green sprouts. Should I wait awhile to plant them.
Old 26-03-2012, 12:29 PM
Registered User

Location: California

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat Peracchio View Post
Much has been said regarding garlic but not much about onions. I ordered Walla Walla onions and they came yesterday. Connecticut last frost in not for another month or so. They came in bundles and have green sprouts. Should I wait awhile to plant them.
When growing spring onions, they can just as easily be planted indoor gardening in a pot as outdoors in a patch. The best time to plant them is the end of spring in May-June in northern hemisphere and November-December in southern hemisphere. Obviously it depends on your climate and situation; so many gardeners can plant earlier than this. There are also some varieties that can be grown in winter in milder climates or in pots indoors or in a greenhouse over winter.
Fruit Trees
Old 11-06-2012, 12:33 PM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by allen73 View Post
When growing spring onions, they can just as easily be planted indoor gardening in a pot as outdoors in a patch. The best time to plant them is the end of spring in May-June in northern hemisphere and November-December in southern hemisphere. Obviously it depends on your climate and situation; so many gardeners can plant earlier than this. There are also some varieties that can be grown in winter in milder climates or in pots indoors or in a greenhouse over winter.

Generally frost will hurt an onion plant a little but it shouldn't kill it