Old 05-05-2003, 01:08 PM
Janine Smith

Default Avacado's

My fiance and I have just bought a house in Northern Victoria in Australia
and want to grow Avacado's. They do not grow very well in the cooler climate
but we have been told that there are one or two varieties that grow better
than any of the others. Does anyone know what the nameof these trees are?
Thanks. Janine and Greg.

Old 05-05-2003, 01:08 PM
Judanne

What about asking the local Agriculture Department? Are you close to any
agricultural colleges? The Seymour area has one of the highest daylighting
levels in Victoria, so if you are around there, you could be o.k. Just be
aware that they are frost tender and need plenty of shade in the early
years. So maybe a canopy of shadecloth over the trees?

Judanne

. ..

Old 05-05-2003, 01:08 PM
Fran Higham

"Janine Smith" wrote in message
My fiance and I have just bought a house in Northern Victoria in Australia
and want to grow Avacado's. They do not grow very well in the cooler

climate
but we have been told that there are one or two varieties that grow better
than any of the others. Does anyone know what the nameof these trees are?

In his book "The Complete Book of Fruit Growing in Australia", Louis
Glowinski says that: "....the commercial varieties tolerate -2 degrees C,
even -3 degrees C and should grow in protected spots in Tasmania.....the
range can probably be extended to some quite cold areas with -6 degrees C."
The late harvesting varieties of Hass, Ryan and Reed might be the go.

Good luck.

Old 05-05-2003, 01:08 PM
Judanne

Fran,
I'll have to get a copy of that book, too, as I'm on the Tamar in Tassie,
and get very little frost. Now I just have to work out how to keep out the
"critters" (as Elly May would say)

Judanne

Old 05-05-2003, 01:08 PM
Fran Higham

"Judanne" wrote in message
Fran,
I'll have to get a copy of that book, too, as I'm on the Tamar in Tassie,
and get very little frost. Now I just have to work out how to keep out

the
"critters" (as Elly May would say)

It's a good book Judeanne and well worth having.

But back to the avacodos, I was reading something else today and just
co-incidentally there was a mention that the Fuente avacados were good in
cold climates.

Avacado Tree Rachel Edible Gardening 5 31-10-2004 07:15 AM
Avacado Tree Drooping Rachel Gardening 1 25-10-2004 12:56 AM
avacado pit mhill North Carolina 4 01-05-2003 05:46 PM
Avacado's Janine Smith Permaculture 8 26-02-2003 12:46 PM
avacado pit ncstockguy North Carolina 0 18-02-2003 02:04 AM