Old 03-11-2002, 05:49 AM
Fran Higham

Default Quinoa was links to good photos?

"Wesley Trotman" wrote in message

I had thought that quinoa grew in cold climates(needed), but I see from

your
PFAF info that its is primarily a temperate/equatorial plant. I have tried
to obtain some seeds in Oz but no luck. Tara gave me a contact in NZ but
they did not respond to a letter. probably its too difficult to pack and

pay
for import into oz.

Have you ever eaten it Wes?

Winds: In South Oz we have been having a lot of strong winds which is

drying
up the small amount of rain we have had this year.

Same here in the East Wes. The local news reported that the evaporation
rates are twice the previous record level ie 15mm/week!!!!! We have only
had 19.5 mm rain for the whole of October and that is VERY low for this time
of year.

Old 03-11-2002, 06:28 PM
Janet Baraclough

The message
from "Graham Burnett" contains these words:

Blimey you mean somebody actually READS that stuff I copy and paste!!

Well yes, Graham, and while I'm doing so,I analyse it...rare and scarey,hm?

The 'Leeds author' was probably Ken Fern, however I think I might
just
pass your comment back to the PFAF yahoo list and see if they can spin
doctor their way out of that colemanballism....

Cheers Graham

In fact I might even send it to Lord Gnome Himself and see if I can win a
fiver...

Don't forget to forward it to me, then :-)

Janet

Old 05-11-2002, 05:52 PM
Graham Burnett

In fact I might even send it to Lord Gnome Himself and see if I can win

fiver...

Don't forget to forward it to me, then :-)

I probabably won't actually (seemed a good idea on Saturday night after a
few bottles of winter warmer beer), but if I do and it wins I'll send you
two pounds fifty :-)

I did however forward your reply (minus your addy) to PFAF and I await their
response...

Cheers Graham

Old 06-11-2002, 06:44 AM
Wesley Trotman

WE bought some quinoa from a health food shop. I havent tried to sprout it ,
perhaps thats worth a try but it was dehusked, whtaever difference that
makes.
Fat hen grows here like weed, did some one detremine whether that is the
same palnt or perhaps related? The fat hen bends to the ground with its seed
load near the time of dropping it.

We have had 30mm of rain for October which is Ok as our average is 35mm /.
But other months have been consistantly down. Lucky for us we have caught
some showers so there will be some crops and hay around here . I cant say
the same for areas 100km away were most stock has been sold and machinery
has stayed in the sheds.

It seems the message of Oz's declining fertility may have gotten through to
our government but I listened to some economists being interiewed. Their
solution was to do nothing as the economy will respond and the problems of
land degradation and climate change will be fixed. Oz has seroius problems
of loss of fertility and salinity and we are approaching crunch time.

Wes.

For others not intune in Oz, The

Quinoa nzlstar* Edible Gardening 2 28-09-2007 05:10 AM
Quinoa Wesley Trotman Permaculture 5 05-05-2003 02:08 PM
Quinoa was links to good photos? Graham Burnett Permaculture 11 05-05-2003 02:08 PM
links to good photos? Ivan Gregov Permaculture 4 05-05-2003 02:08 PM
links to good photos? Ivan Gregov Permaculture 8 29-10-2002 12:25 AM