Old 11-08-2003, 07:11 AM
Judanne

Default Pitcairn Island

Wasn't Pitcairn abandoned by the Bounty Mutineers because it was too small
to support their growing population? They all moved to Norfolk island in
the mid 1800's. Saw a doco about this just last night.

Also, Brian, if you're looking for an island to move to, you may not do
better than Tasmania (but I'm biased, as that's where I live). Have a look
at http://www.discovertasmania.com.au/
--
Judanne

"briancady413" wrote in message
om...
Don't Mennonite, Bruderhof and Amish have traditions of land
stewardship and of forming colonies? I think Mennonites have started
quite a few tropical communities, although perhaps in highlands.

Gaviotas is a recent colony in highland Columbia that just might want
to move or split, with recent violence there. They seem like really
neat folk who have done amazing ecological transformations that any
permaculturalist must respect, if not stagger in awe of, if reports
prove true. Alan Weisman wrote about them. I heard one of the Canary
Islands has a tradition of excellent, pre-permaculture gathering and
storing rare rain there, which has transformed the isle.(which might
be Fuerteventura.) I heard it was a rocky, barren low island that
didn't get much rain, and now its full of gardens and people living
their lives. (Some Canary islands are high and catch rain, some are
low and dry.
Maybe also there are refugee communities seeking sanctuary, with whom
Pitcairn
islanders would feel a cultural or empathetic bond with.

Maybe inviting a variety of lifestyle/belief gropus could help
eventually form.
On the other hand, maybe the women of Pitcairn could select from among
a world-full of men through online personals, those that would suit
them and the island's opportunities.
I actually once stumbled across a translated Japanese analysis of
which churches had most successfully colonized Hokkaido, which had,
and has, an indigenous gropu very unrelated to most japanese. This
colonization was actualy not that long ago. Southern Japanese colonist
farmers in Brazil, I have heard, have been very successful and
responsible farmers there. Is this a similar climate?

I'm interested in going to an island for good, but think of Tristan de
Cunha, with its climate more suited to my western european gene set. I
have messed around in small boats every summer as a kid, racing
sailing dinghies in choppy, but swell-less Buzzards Bay in Southern
New England, and crewing with my family aboard my fathers' cruising
sloops. I previously trained in Re-evaluation Counseling, a
peer-to-peer counceling method focusing on recovery form any traumas,
with some great strengths and a few weaknesses, but I'm quite rusty.

What's news?

Brian Cady

Old 14-08-2003, 07:22 PM
briancady413

Judanne, I just read that not all the burgeoning population took the
Norfolk Island option, at the historical background page of
http://www.bountybay.org.uk/

200 left, they report, in 1856.

Brian Cady

Old 28-08-2003, 06:42 PM
briancady413

I just read that the Pitcairners in fact all did leave for Norfolk
Island, but that some returned after realizing promises made to them
were empty. I read this at a Norfolk Island website.

Brian Cady
Old 28-08-2003, 08:02 PM
Ener Borg

briancady413 wrote:

I just read that the Pitcairners in fact all did leave for Norfolk
Island, but that some returned after realizing promises made to them
were empty. I read this at a Norfolk Island website.

Why did they leave Pitcairn and which promises was delivered them?

Anybody who have any information about predator friendly farming?

Ener

Pitcairn, was Opportunity to create Chookie Permaculture 0 01-11-2004 11:04 AM
Pitcairn Island Judanne Permaculture 0 11-08-2003 07:08 AM
[IBC] Green Island Contest Carl L Rosner Bonsai 0 30-03-2003 06:44 PM
[IBC] Green Island Contest Carl L Rosner Bonsai 0 02-03-2003 04:15 PM
18" of Snow on Long Island - yes this too is global warming D Kat Ponds 13 24-02-2003 09:00 PM