Old 13-01-2004, 05:02 AM

Default Where are the permies ?

This news group is dead.

I'm very interested in seeing/hearing about anyones experiences with their
permaculture gardens of whatever size. (ideas that they have taken on that
I might use)
And I am willing to share whatever I can give as a novice.

I am presently attempting to permaculture my whole suburban block. Which I
have kept an online blogg on for the past year (give or take missing a month
here and there)

This is my 'learning' curve for when I buy a bigger property and take it on
more as a full time job. I figure if I am unable to'manage' the suburban
block then what hope have I got on a larger scale. So far so good. I
generally work in the garden 3 weekends out of every month. I work full time
at my own business so my time is scarce.

To be honest my 'chicken' tractor does a good deal of the work for me. I
would highly recommend one.

www.jeack.com.au/~kirsty

Old 13-01-2004, 07:42 AM
len gardener

g'day kirsty,

we're still here tending our near 70 acres, 170 odd tomato plants, and
a myriad of other summer food plants. we've got snake beans and
tomatoes coming at us like fire from a gattling gun at present. just
started to layout another garden to use the material from our
composting toilet in, that is the stuff that has been composting for
the best part of a year to date.

we are attempting to re-habilitate agriculturaly degraded land and
return habitat, encourage wildlife, and grow our own stuff sustainably
within this system. so far so good another 12 months and the mixed
exotic and native pasture grasses will be in top form, ready for some
livestock when finances permit.

spent most of this morning working with the shire council laying a
fence down so they could drop a 50+ foot spotted gum that was struck
by lightening last thursday night near blew it apart debris was
scattered around for up to 30 meters from the strike sight.

as the council needed to remove 2 other trees as well, hate seeing
trees felled but i got them to cut some lengths for fence posts out of
what was usable, suppose better not to waste not hey. it was a habitat
tree and all.

anyhow can't download your page keeping getting a page can't be
found error. we will be willing to share our what to look for
experiences when you are ready to buy acreage. you pretty much almost
need to be fully retired by then i reckon.

anyhow yo are welcome to visit us at our site.

len

snipped
--
happy gardening

http://home.dnet.aunz.com/gardnlen/
Old 13-01-2004, 09:02 AM

Dear Glen,

The page has java script which makes it difficult for some peoples computers
to 'read' . I will be migrating the site over in January to a new format
which should make it easier to view. You could try a direct link to one of
the months, might make it easier.

Also I went to your web site. Some links dont work but in particular the
chook link doesnt work. Im rather partial to hens (I used to show them as a
kid) and I found this excellent home site while looking for chook
information. It is an Australian site. I have no idea who the guy is , but
he has done an excellent job of it.
http://members.iinet.net.au/~greggles1/index.html
We currently run our own business, which we have for 7 years. We have been
'planning' for early semi-retirement for the past two years. Before 40. We
run out own super fund, which may by some land for us but not all. We own
our own home which we hope to rent out when we retire. When we sell the
business we will take a % of that money and put it into the property. So yeh
retirement of sorts is the plan. It is also possible that we look for block
allotments of decent size all grouped together. This way we buy 1. My
partners mother buys another, the Super buys a third etc.. but it will all
be shared land. It will also make it easier to put 'houses' (cottage style
bedsits)on each block for others who are interested in a similar future, as
I am a firm believer that
1. We are all getting poorer and my generation even more so than the baby
boomers and this subsistance is 'affordable'
2. This should be a shared and ongoing project as it is a lot of 'work' for
two people.

They could also then be 'bed and breakfast' arrangements for anyone who
wants to come and learn/work on a permaculture property. We are hoping for a
micro community if at all possible.

These are all options we have considered. The thing is we havent decided
"WHERE" as yet. Anyway first things first and that is sell the business and
in the mean time work in the backyard.

http://www.jeack.com.au/~kirsty/03.yard.dec/dec.03.htm

"len gardener" wrote in message
[...]

"in the end ya' gotta do what ya' gotta do" but consider others and the

environment
http://home.dnet.aunz.com/gardnlen/

Old 18-01-2004, 02:02 AM
Ute Bohnsack

Hi Kirsty,
it's not quite dead. Len has never given up (good on you!) but a lot of
the regulars have vanished, alright. Well it's good to see new folks
comin' in!
I really enjoyed looking through your site. Looks fabulous! Makes me
long for warmer climes (I'm in Ireland).
Have you checked out our (as in the group's) website
http://www.ibiblio.org/permaculture-online/index.html ?
I also have a little chicken tractor (built from wood) but supplement
that with extra range fenced off with electric poultry netting as there
is very little room inside it (and thankfully I have the space).
I just moved them from the softfruit garden into a goat paddock (the
goats are currently interested only in the hay feeder in the yard - it's
mid-winter here) and put lots of little heaps of aged manure all over
that paddock as well. Here comes the test: will they finally work for
*me* for a change and spread the manure? It's full of earthworms so
there is an incentive
We'll see.
TTFN

Ute

Old 26-01-2004, 03:02 PM
Kae Verens

Ute Bohnsack wrote:
Hi Kirsty,
it's not quite dead. Len has never given up (good on you!) but a lot of
the regulars have vanished, alright. Well it's good to see new folks
comin' in!
I really enjoyed looking through your site. Looks fabulous! Makes me
long for warmer climes (I'm in Ireland).
Have you checked out our (as in the group's) website
http://www.ibiblio.org/permaculture-online/index.html ?

I'm new here as well, and co-incidentally, also in Ireland (Monaghan).

I am in my second year of gardening, and am using a raised bed system.

I am very interested in permaculture, but find it very difficult to start. My garden is only half usable, and I am having trouble figuring out what to do with the other half - it's mostly rock and gravel; very difficult to work with.
I'm thinking that what I need to do is to gradually spread the good soil into the bad part of the garden as it grows (compost and wood ash is added regularly).

I had some chickens last year, but they mostly got run over by cars and tractors, or eaten by my dogs. I won't be trying that again until I have a secure area for them.

Kae

Old 27-01-2004, 08:18 PM
Ute Bohnsack

Hi Kae,
Monaghan! I'm in Clare.
Do you know Marcus McCabe, also in Monaghan?
Check out his website:
http://www.arknursery.ie
and
http://www.compass.ie/gap/31burdautien_ark.html

TTFN
Ute

Old 28-01-2004, 01:10 AM
Kae Verens

Ute Bohnsack wrote:
Hi Kae,
Monaghan! I'm in Clare.
Do you know Marcus McCabe, also in Monaghan?
Check out his website:
http://www.arknursery.ie
and
http://www.compass.ie/gap/31burdautien_ark.html

i do know him. in fact, he's the brother of a guy i work with.

cool house he has. and he makes /hot/ chili sauce! i enjoy wandering around his little plot whenever i end up there.

Kae