Old 07-03-2004, 04:42 AM
Geodyne

Default The Breedersons revisited

Some may remember that I have been ranting about my charming
Breederson neighbours lately. Here is an update:

Yay 1: One of the problems that I had was that the kids were playing
on a large earthwork levee directly behind my house, and using it to
slide down into a pond of filthy water with a boogie board. I was
worried that someone was inevitably going to hurt themselves. A couple
of phone calls to the appropriate authorities, and the pond has been
completely fenced off, conveniently preventing access to our back
fence as well.

Yay 2: On Friday, a large "FOR LEASE" sign was placed in front of the
house next door. The Breedersons are moving out!

Some days, I almost think there is a $deity.

Geodyne
Old 07-03-2004, 01:02 PM
Sirius631

In article , Geodyne
writes:

Some may remember that I have been ranting about my charming
Breederson neighbours lately. Here is an update:

Yay 1: One of the problems that I had was that the kids were playing
on a large earthwork levee directly behind my house, and using it to
slide down into a pond of filthy water with a boogie board. I was
worried that someone was inevitably going to hurt themselves. A couple
of phone calls to the appropriate authorities, and the pond has been
completely fenced off, conveniently preventing access to our back
fence as well.

Yay 2: On Friday, a large "FOR LEASE" sign was placed in front of the
house next door. The Breedersons are moving out!

Some days, I almost think there is a $deity.

Geodyne

Is their plot a good plot for growing stuff? Perhaps somebody on this
newsgroup would be interested in moving next door, so you could start a little
community.
:-)

David Lloyd
Old 15-03-2004, 12:30 AM
stan the man

how do you keep up soil nutrients?
Stan
"Geodyne" wrote in message
On Thu, 11 Mar 2004 23:42:00 GMT, "Homefinders"
wrote:

"Geodyne" wrote in message
news
On 09 Mar 2004 21:57:37 GMT, acon (Sirius631) wrote:

I'm going to experiment and see just how unneccessary direct sunlight is

for
veggies in my climate.

I can remember many years ago being told by a Permie that Australia has

too
much sunlight and that most plants would be better off grown in some

shade.
I have certainly found that any plants I have are much much happier under
green shadecloth.

That's been my experience over the years as well, especially in
summer. The most successful veggie garden I ever had was in partial
shade from a eucalypt throughout the hottest parts of the day. The sun
is just too hot in summer for the roots to keep up.

I'm going to put this garden against the fenceline so it's out from
under the eaves. I'll have a narrow path under the eaves between the
garden and the house. This way it will get the rain when it falls, and
there is no danger to the house from termites (and to the garden from
the pest controller). This approach is also going to lend itself
naturally to intensive "square foot" gardening, which is something I
have also had a lot of success with. I'll have two vertical tiers to
maximise the usage of space: a vine with a smaller ground-hugging
plant.

Geodyne

Old 15-03-2004, 07:42 AM
Geodyne

On Sun, 14 Mar 2004 22:38:32 GMT, "stan the man"
wrote:

how do you keep up soil nutrients?
Stan

Mulch. Lots and lots of mulch, which is essential to keep the moisture
in the soil in my climate anyway. I am partial to a mixture of
home-made compost, cow manure and lucerne hay. I also often bury
kitchen scraps directly into the garden to compost in situ, which
encourages the worms.

Someone has started a business recently in my area, selling composted
stable dressings (a well-composted combination of horse manure,
lucerne hay and wood shavings). They were clever enough to give me a
sample bag, and I'm impressed by what I see. I think I'll be trying
some of that soon.

I am also partial to using mushroom compost as a base and building the
garden up a few inches, because I am on a heavy clay soil. This means
that there is a lot of soil nutrition anyway.

Geodyne
Old 15-03-2004, 07:42 AM
stan the man

Have you tried shade cloth over the plants in summer?
I am also interested in converting sandy areas into soil
Stan

Old 15-03-2004, 07:42 AM
Geodyne

On Mon, 15 Mar 2004 01:09:45 GMT, "stan the man"
wrote:

Have you tried shade cloth over the plants in summer?
I am also interested in converting sandy areas into soil

No I haven't, because I haven't needed to.

But if you're trying to get gardens happening on sandy soil, what I
have doen would work as well- bury as many veggie scraps in the soil
as you can, and incorporate lots of compost etc. It will help with
water retention.

Geodyne