Old 09-12-2004, 08:12 AM
pete

len gardener wrote:

anyhow take care and have a great season if we don't get to chat bfore
hand.

A good time to wish everyone a safe and happy Christmas wherever you may be.
Hoping you get to spend it with the people who matter to you and hope
the new year brings peace and happiness.

Merry Christmas everyone
Old 09-12-2004, 09:06 PM
Geodyne

On Thu, 09 Dec 2004 08:12:12 GMT, pete wrote:

len gardener wrote:

anyhow take care and have a great season if we don't get to chat bfore
hand.

A good time to wish everyone a safe and happy Christmas wherever you may be.
Hoping you get to spend it with the people who matter to you and hope
the new year brings peace and happiness.

Merry Christmas everyone

And from me too. Merry Christmas Len, Pete, everyone else.

Geodyne

Old 10-12-2004, 12:34 AM
Fran

"pete" wrote in message

A good time to wish everyone a safe and happy Christmas wherever you may

be.
Hoping you get to spend it with the people who matter to you and hope
the new year brings peace and happiness.

Merry Christmas everyone

And ditto to you Pete and anyone else who reads this.

Fran

Old 12-12-2004, 09:18 AM
Chookie

In article ,
len gardener wrote:

don't know if this will help but i am writting an essay on how i see
and do perma-c. itis open ended and not finished but there may be some
tips that you could use?

http://members.optusnet.com.au/~gard...ture_essay.htm

Guess who DID buy their property for the aspect? :-) The down side (as the
block had only one lemon tree, apart from the mangoes planted strategically
over the main sewer line) is that I have TOO MUCH sun in summer. Waiting a
few years while the trees and shrubs grow along the western side.

I'm fumbling my way into urban permaculture, very slowly. I have a 3yo (and
another on the way in May, so gardening will be increasingly difficult in
autumn, the main working season), DH is anti-poultry, and our plans to
retrofit/extend our house for better temperature control and usability are
looking increasingly expensive! Unfortunately, a number of other permie ideas
hang off the extension (eg, moving the vegie patch away from its current NW
aspect, which has had a bad effect on my summer crops, to a purely northerly
one sheltered by the new wing of the house).

Started a new thread to see what the rest of you are up to.

--
Chookie -- Sydney, Australia

"Life is like a cigarette -- smoke it to the butt." -- Harvie Krumpet
Old 12-12-2004, 06:08 PM
len gardener

g'day chookie,

yes as we found the best aspect land may not have all the attributes
needed for comfortable living right up front, but you are streets
ahead of any other aspects when it comes to ending up with the ideal
or as close to as you can get.

we have our house aspected nroth (magnetic) as you know but then we
don't have any windbreak trees for our western side and some
protection from the southern side. and we ahve had to plant lots of
trees to the south east to some day tune down the south/easterly
needed for summer comfort but blowing way too strong.

but all that is the legacy of buying x-ag land that has been clear
felled. our gardens have eastern aspects as northern aspect can be
pretty hot for them in the summer but you could plant deciduous trees
to provide summer sun shelter for the gardens, and being deciduous
these won't interfere with the sun you need for the house in winter.

so when i read of people having problems with uncomfortable conditions
on the wrong aspects, it's a bit more heartening for us as in time
trees or even and extension will change a whole lot of things.
something to look forward to. just finding out how long it takes to
get trees to a height where they will have the impact needed, so very
easy to chop them down though hey? so we in a similar situation to
you.

have fun

len

snipped
--
happy gardening

my e/mail addies have spam filters you should know what to delete before you send.