Old 12-07-2004, 10:02 AM
Pete

Default The food forest

Hi Fran
Not sure what the rainfall is around Gawler, it would be better than our
measly 10 inch/year but it wouldn't be a lot better ... I would guess it
would be in the 500 - 600 mm per year bracket (just a guess though) the
Gawler ranges seem to influence the weather around there.

The soils around there are possibly richer than most areas of the Adelaide
plains I believe that area was part of the Gawler river floodplains many
years ago so there would be some pretty decent soils around ...as there are
in Virginia (big horticultural area) just to the NE.which is also a
floodplain ... and now has the added "magic water" from Adelaide's sewerage
treatment plant pumped into the area.

I seem to remember an article in grass roots about the food forest ..some
years ago... I'll see if I can find which edition ...cos I just know you'd
have it lying around :-)

Wouldn't it be great to be able to run a whole farm on permaculture
principles?

"Fran" wrote in message
"Pete" wrote in message

there's a great place near us (the food forest
http://www.users.bigpond.com/brookman/ )

Wow. At Gawler? What is the soil like round there normally Pete? And

what
sort of rainfall?

Gotta go and read this site so will do more responses to other posts

later.
Hooroo!

Old 13-07-2004, 01:03 PM
Fran

"Pete" wrote in message
Hi Fran
Not sure what the rainfall is around Gawler, it would be better than our
measly 10 inch/year but it wouldn't be a lot better ... I would guess it
would be in the 500 - 600 mm per year bracket (just a guess though) the
Gawler ranges seem to influence the weather around there.

The soils around there are possibly richer than most areas of the Adelaide
plains I believe that area was part of the Gawler river floodplains many
years ago so there would be some pretty decent soils around ...as there

are
in Virginia (big horticultural area) just to the NE.which is also a
floodplain ... and now has the added "magic water" from Adelaide's

sewerage
treatment plant pumped into the area.

Thanks for that. We too have only had 10 inches this year at both our
places (and the other place supposedly gets 50 inches/year)

I seem to remember an article in grass roots about the food forest ..some
years ago... I'll see if I can find which edition ...cos I just know you'd
have it lying around :-)

Indeed I would:-)) I have them (EG and GR) all filed by issue number. One
of my better efforts at filing 'cos it ****ed me off so much when I couldn't
quickly find what I wanted.

Wouldn't it be great to be able to run a whole farm on permaculture
principles?

Yeah but a lot of hard work. Was it GR or EG did that did the article about
pc 20 years on and stressed that it was a lto fo work? But boy that piece
of land they had! From barren block to lushness.

Old 14-07-2004, 03:05 AM
Geodyne

On Tue, 13 Jul 2004 21:08:11 +1000, "Fran"
wrote:

Wouldn't it be great to be able to run a whole farm on permaculture
principles?

Yeah but a lot of hard work. Was it GR or EG did that did the article about
pc 20 years on and stressed that it was a lto fo work? But boy that piece
of land they had! From barren block to lushness.

It was EG, IIRC. If it's the article I'm thinking of, they stressed
that it was a really hard slog setting a farm up to be as pc as
possible, but totally worth it in their opinion. Can't remember the
issue the article was in though. It was almost certainly printed in
2002 though.

Geodyne

Old 14-07-2004, 11:02 AM
Pete

wrote:

Wouldn't it be great to be able to run a whole farm on permaculture
principles?

Yeah but a lot of hard work. Was it GR or EG did that did the article

about
pc 20 years on and stressed that it was a lto fo work? But boy that

piece
of land they had! From barren block to lushness.

It was EG, IIRC. If it's the article I'm thinking of, they stressed
that it was a really hard slog setting a farm up to be as pc as
possible, but totally worth it in their opinion. Can't remember the
issue the article was in though. It was almost certainly printed in
2002 though.

Geodyne

I looked and looked but can't find my copy ....must learn filing from Fran
methinks.
anyways ... I did a search on EG's web site and came up with these thingies
which seem appropriate given the strawbale discussion going on as well
http://search.atomz.com/search/?sp-q...p-a=sp1000da6f