Old 14-01-2005, 07:06 PM
len gardener

we are on a pension and as the gov wants to stay in power they have
figured a way to fiddle the books and make it look like our infaltion
rate is running at around 3 & 4%, which it isn't! in the last periods
fuel has risen by 60% min, fresh meats have risen by 25+%, processed
food around 15% and in one stint powdered milk went up near on 30%,
then there is the every increasing insurances, road taxes, license fee
(now $60aud for 5 years), line rentals for the phone and the list goes
on but none of those things has rise by just 3 or 4%. line rentals are
around 6% pa medical insurance 11% or thereabouts, so we just can't
find that one thing that has only risen by around 4% so we can live
off of it. oh i forgot to mention rates and fire levies all increase
by at least 10% p.a, the list of thngs you gotta pay is endless.

our pensions are tied to the cpi.

so now ya know. all pensioners are suffering.

snipped
--
happy gardening

my e/mail addies have spam filters you should know what to delete before you send.
Old 15-01-2005, 11:23 AM
Fran

"len gardener" wrote in message

all in limbo sort of no one looking so looks like we are here for the
long haul, the place looks realy lush and great right now so if we
could just get someone on sight with 1/2 a tick they would almost
havta buy.

Well good luck with it Len. Selling is always a pig of an exercise.

Enjoy it while you're waiting.

Old 15-01-2005, 11:27 AM
Fran

"Geodyne" wrote in message

The end of last year was pretty big to me - we lost 53 distant family
members in the tsunami. Hopefully the rest of this year will be somewhat
less dramatic.

That shocking news! I'm very sorry to hear that.

Old 15-01-2005, 11:32 AM
Fran

[...]

And not just pensioners. My allowance is buying less all the time. but
then I don'e believe anything this governement says and I certainly don't
believe what they say about unemployment either - "Lowest unemployment in 28
years" In a pig's ear it's the lowest - the mongrel government just changed
how they counted the unemployed when they came to power.

Old 15-01-2005, 07:49 PM
len gardener

agreed fran there will be lots in the community suffering in silence,
as by and large aussie have adopted the "i'm alright jack" policy.
charity definately does not start at home.

and 28 years should mabe be converted to 28% unemployment, they have
been fudging that figures since keetings days. but we are finding
harder and ahrder to buy food after we pay the necessary bills nothing
plush around here just the bare minimum.

so take care fran feel free to chat anytime. hope s.a don't get
anymore fires.

len

snipped

Old 15-01-2005, 07:52 PM
len gardener

well can't do much more than enjoy, would love to stay but just can't
find a rich uncle or win lotto. but each day we amaze at the
difference on this block since we put in all those simple management
practises, took it from a dry blady grass block to an almost lush
mixed pasture grasses block in just on 3 years and no additives like
phosphates etc.,.

anyhow we gotta do waht we gotta do.

nice chatting to you fran as always

len

snipped

Old 15-01-2005, 11:29 PM
len gardener

mmmm yeh first up it takes away the reliance on a motor vehicle,
second we won't have a tractor to keep going when, they break down
they cost big bucks, and no use being here if we can't do/finish what
we want to do and grow as much of our food needs and repair the
habitat etc all takes moeny, this all takes money, and then there's
fencing and whole lots of things.

it is a whole lot more expensive living in rural even though the rates
fro the land are cheaper, every time a tap is turned on a pump starts
and sooner or later they need replacing whatever.

you probably need to get outside the square to see what i mean.

we doing ok whilst we got the true cpi% rises but the fibber rises are
starving us and lots of other pensioners off of their properties these
people paid taxes all their lives now they can't live with dignity,
and the groups who are getting the big help will never work or never
pay any taxes .

snipped

Old 16-01-2005, 01:33 AM
len gardener

dunno working outside the square is a very common phrase around the
traps, it means you step outside your little world and have a look
back in to see how much bigger it realy is a good way to broaden ones
horizons, so i won't even mention working outside the comfort zone
then hey mmm..

we need a tractor to mow fire breaks and keep around our tree
plantings clear for times of fire, as a grass fire could easily kill 3
to 6 years of growth rapidly, and we also need to produce mulch so
again yes a tractor is very necessary as we could not keep the
watering up or protect the grouind from heat and cold without it, and
buying mulch at up to $3 aud a bale is too dear as you need to go and
get it or pay delivery so the basic 3 bucks is only the surface cost,
then you don't know what weeds may come with it just ask ted he's got
kahki weed a very hard weed to get rid of from just bringing in cattle
fodder.

and also you can't have cattle grazing in among trees under around 3
meters + high they will eat them down so all that effort again will be
for nought, probably much more to it than you may comprehend.

and the reliance on a motor vehicle is the real big cruncher when
there aint no piggy bank to break open and buy another.

snipped

Old 16-01-2005, 07:08 AM
sunrise farm

"Geodyne" wrote in message
pete wrote in
:

snip
The Macquarie Island quake wasn't much smaller than the Aceh one though
Pete - 8.5, as compared to 8.9. The type of motion at Macquarie is very
different to that of the plate boundary in Indonesia, fortunately.

If the one in the Balleny Islands in Antarctica ever went off though -
those of us in SE Oz should all brace.

The end of last year was pretty big to me - we lost 53 distant family
members in the tsunami. Hopefully the rest of this year will be somewhat
less dramatic.

Geodyne

I'm sorry to hear of your loss, Tara, we lost a couple of people in Phuket
to the tsunami.
I hope life takes on a far more peaceful rhythm for the rest of the year.
Andi

Old 16-01-2005, 08:03 AM
Geodyne

"sunrise farm" wrote in
:

I'm sorry to hear of your loss, Tara, we lost a couple of people in
Phuket to the tsunami.
I hope life takes on a far more peaceful rhythm for the rest of the
year. Andi

I'm sorry to hear that as well, Andi. Thanks for your thoughts.

Geodyne

Old 16-01-2005, 08:07 AM
Geodyne

"Fran" wrote in
:

"Geodyne" wrote in message

The end of last year was pretty big to me - we lost 53 distant family
members in the tsunami. Hopefully the rest of this year will be
somewhat less dramatic.

That shocking news! I'm very sorry to hear that.

Thanks Fran. Fortunatley for me, most were very distant family - cousins
of my two SsIL by marriage. They are very upset, of course as are we
all.

It's probably a cold-hearted thing to say, but we're actually counting
out blessings because we had 5 immediate family members in Sri Lanka
that day - including H's brother and BIL's PIL. Some of them had been
in the village where most of the family were lost just a few days
before.

The other two near family members were SIL's sister and her husband, who
is a doctor and was in Sri Lanka for the first time. He immediately
volunteered his services after the tsunami hit and spent the rest of his
holiday going through affected areas, helping where he could. He said
that the level of devastation was total in many places.

Tara
Old 16-01-2005, 09:59 AM
Fran

"Janet Baraclough" wrote in message
mmmm yeh first up it takes away the reliance on a motor vehicle,
second we won't have a tractor to keep going when, they break down
they cost big bucks, and no use being here if we can't do/finish what
we want to do and grow as much of our food needs and repair the
habitat etc all takes moeny, this all takes money, and then there's
fencing and whole lots of things.

Is a tractor really essential to grow fruit and veg for two people ?

It may not be to grow veg for 2, but if he uses it as a slasher (to keep the
grass and thus snake threat low) or has a carryall for fencing equipment or
to dig post holes with, or has a blade on it for forming roads, then it
could be vital to living on a rural block.

And Len is quite right about rural living - it is far more expensive in
terms of daily costs. I pay about double the cost of groceries if I shop in
the village vs getting in the car and going 30 kms (and fuel here has also
recently blown out in cost).

Old 16-01-2005, 10:01 AM
Fran

"len gardener" wrote in message

and
buying mulch at up to $3 aud a bale is too dear

Bloody hell! Count your lucky stars as that is cheap - round here straw is
$8.00 and last time I bothered to ask, (at least a year ago) lucerne bales
were $16 each!

Old 16-01-2005, 10:11 AM
Fran

"Geodyne" wrote in message

Thanks Fran. Fortunatley for me, most were very distant family - cousins
of my two SsIL by marriage. They are very upset, of course as are we
all.

Yes. Knwoing the closeness makes it even worse, although Lord knows how
abolutley ghastly it has clearly been. It certainly puts other world news
and worries into perspective doesn't it?

It's probably a cold-hearted thing to say, but we're actually counting
out blessings because we had 5 immediate family members in Sri Lanka
that day - including H's brother and BIL's PIL. Some of them had been
in the village where most of the family were lost just a few days
before.

I don't think that is cold hearted at all - merely a justifiable relief not
to lose even more people who are closer to you.

The situation is soo ghastly that it is very hard to comprehend. I can't
remember any single other event that has resulted in such a response.
Whilst everyone I know has been simply Gobsmacked, they have certainly done
something practical to help - like give a generous financial donation and or
turn out their cupboards to give to the various appeals.

The other two near family members were SIL's sister and her husband, who
is a doctor and was in Sri Lanka for the first time. He immediately
volunteered his services after the tsunami hit and spent the rest of his
holiday going through affected areas, helping where he could. He said
that the level of devastation was total in many places.

That was very good of him. I hope he wasn't too traumatised by it all.

2 of our local Doctors are Sri Lankan and they know the areas wel and they
look stunned and they aren't even therel. Their fund raising/medical aid
effort is getting lots of support but that is only one of the local things
on the go. I must say that I'm really impressed with how people have
reacted.

Old 16-01-2005, 07:36 PM
len gardener

yeh fran,

straw is pretty dear up this way not sure but we stopped buying it 2
years ago think it might have got to 12 bucks.

this is mulch hay we buy good lucern hay is worth anywhere from 8.80
to 17 bucks.

but mulch hay ingeneral has gone from aroubnd 1.5 to 2 bucks 2 years
ago, it never goes down either funny that hey.

len

snipped
--
happy gardening

my e/mail addies have spam filters you should know what to delete before you send.

Abe Lincoln Tomato Patrick & Corrie Edible Gardening 9 19-03-2004 06:00 PM
Mr Lincoln's WOW! Tom Line Roses 5 16-07-2003 06:52 AM
Mr Lincoln's Look Tired. Tom Line Roses 2 24-06-2003 07:20 PM
Missster Lincoln Scopata Fuori Roses 8 24-04-2003 07:44 AM
Mr. Lincoln??? dave weil Roses 13 16-04-2003 02:08 PM