Old 20-04-2007, 04:25 PM posted to bionet.plants

Default Edible barberry? "Zereshk"

Hi Brad,

I read your posting (below) however didn't see any responses to it. It
is amazing to see your comments because I have been searching for the
same answers for a couple of days now without any luck. Did you ever get
any replies to your questions? If you did, I hope you don't mind sharing
them with me. I am an Iranian American living in Georgia (Atlanta area).
I am entertaining a project to farm Zereshk in Georgia on a large scale
due to its many useful aspects. Please let me know if you can help.
Thanks

Regards,
Sonny Rostamy

I have developed a fondness for the Persian dish "Zereshk polo", which
Is made from barberries with sugar and onions. I was thinking it would
be nice to grow the berries myself, since I rather like the look of the
barberry plants I've seen, but I've discovered that there are a great
many
species of the genus berberus, and I would not like to get one that
tastes
bad, or worse yet is poisonous (though I doubt there are any such...)
Does anyone know the scientific name for the species of barberry used in
Iranian cooking?

Also, as long as I'm on the subject, does anyone know the scientific
name
or at least the common English name of "albaloo"? I tried ordering
albaloo
polo one time, but I got a dish with dried cherries, which is definitely
not the same as the dried albaloo I tasted once.

Thanks!
- Brad

This message and any attachments are intended only for the use of
the addressee and may contain information that is privileged and
confidential. If the reader of the message is not the intended
recipient or an authorized representative of the intended
recipient, you are hereby notified that any dissemination of this
communication in error, notify the sender immediately by return
email and delete the message and any attachments from your system.