Old 31-01-2008, 05:36 PM posted to bionet.plants

Default Strange Fungi

At Wed, 30 Jan 2008, "bulucanagria" wrote:

http://outdoors.webshots.com/album/562324067tCDHJq

snip would really love to know what these beautiful plants are.
Thanks would go to anyone who could enlighten me.
Danny Blue

Danny,
The browser on my ancient machine crashed when I tried to look at the
photos full-sized, but your "fungi" appear to me to be what is locally
known as "ice plant" or "Indian pipe." They're not fungi but a
saprophyte.
Try doing a search online for images of "Monotropa uniflora" and see if
they match your plants. Your description of their microclimate sounds
right. They are a lovely sight to behold on a mid to late summer's walk in
the deep woods, usually in the vicinity of eastern hemlocks in my experience.

Hope this helps

Luna
(wildcrafting herbalist based in PA, USA)