Old 14-02-2003, 01:17 PM
mmcpherson0563

Default Spider plant

Hi house,I have this spider plant that just won't get healthy.I have tried
everything but the tips of every leaf dies and turn brown.
What am I doing wrong?
All replies welcomed and appreciated.

Old 14-02-2003, 02:38 PM
Monique Reed

This sounds like water stress, which may be caused by

--too little water.

--too much water. Roots have rotted and the plant can't take up
water.

--wrong kind of water. If your water has a high salt content, salt
build-up in the soil can keep roots from being able to take up water.

What to do? Use deionized, distilled, or reverse osmosis water
instead of tap water. Water thoroughly when the soil is dry. Do not
let the pot sit in standing water. Re-pot if what runs out of your
pot is yellow or brown (indicates salt build-up.)

M. Reed
..

Old 14-02-2003, 06:29 PM
Cereoid+10

You're not doing anything wrong.

Leaf tips turning brown is normal for Chlorophytum comosum. That's the way
it grows in the wild, in gardens or as a houseplant.

Many gardeners have tried to rationalize various causes for it but it is
just the way the plant grows (and dies).

Take a pair of scissirs and cut diagonally to remove the dead tips if they
offend you.

.

Old 15-02-2003, 07:30 PM
mmcpherson0563

Thank you for the great reply.Especially with the name,I was always wonder
what its nomenclature was

Old 17-02-2003, 12:44 AM
David Hershey

Tipburn in spider plant is often caused by high levels of boron or
fluoride in the irrigation water or potting soil. You could check with
your water company and see how much boron and fluoride are in your tap
water. Fluoride is often added to prevent tooth decay. Superphosphate
contains fluoride, so is not recommended as a phosphate fertilizer for
spider plant.

Softened water is very bad for most houseplants, so be sure you aren't
using water from a water softener. Softened water contains sodium
which is often toxic to plants.

Monique Reed's recommendation to use distilled, deionized or or
reverse osmosis water is worthwhile.

References

Spider Plant Production Guide:
http://mrec.ifas.ufl.edu/Foliage/folnotes/spider.htm

On Gardening/Water Quality And Indoor Plants In The Winter:
http://www.psu.edu/ur/NEWS/news/nusswater.html

Old 23-02-2003, 01:11 AM
rusty

best way to put it is what color are the leaf tips...

if they are a yellow color, this is too little water.
if they are a brown color, this is too much water.

they will always give some tipping from what I have seen do to contact with
surroundings, but at this time of the year, you may be giving too much
water.

able.rogers.com...