Old 31-10-2002, 01:05 AM
Cereoid+10

Default chalenge of the day...

Because that's the way the designer made them. HeHe

The answer has to do with the different pollination strategies used by the
two plants.

Investigate how the two flower types differ and the mechanism behind their
pollination. That will give you a clue why an orchid flower needs to last
longer in order for a pollinator to find it.

Erez wrote in message
om...
Hello,
My baby sister asked me why do orchids flower for up to 3 months but
poppy flower for about one day.
Sadly, I couldn't find the answer.

Help with the answer would make her smarter and me happier...
Thanks in advance.

Old 02-11-2002, 08:14 AM
Cereoid+10

What type of flowers are orchids verses poppies.

What are the different pollination strategies?

Here's another clue. Most orchid species rely on a specific insect
pollinator while most poppies don't.

Do a google search on pollination ecology, particularly on orchids.

Erez wrote in message
om...
Okay,
What I got is that both plants use pollinator to pollinate...
So what's the difference ? Why can a poppy plant do it in 1 day and
an orchid may need 3 months ?
What is it that I'm overlooking ?
Thanks.

gy.com...