Old 03-03-2003, 05:52 AM
Jenny Rizzo

Default African Violet - leaning

It seems that these are very sensitive plants. I have one that recently
flowered, but the leaves turned spotty, brown and wilty. (I know not to get
the leaves wet.) I changed the location of the plant, it seems to be doing
better (no more brown leaves). However, I'm concerned about the part of the
stem of the plant where I removed the dying/dead leaves. I added soil to
the top (to try to keep it straight), but it's still leaning. Nearly all of
the leaves had to be removed. Do you think this plant is beyond saving? I
hope not. There are new leaves coming up, but the plant is still leaning.

Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.

Old 03-03-2003, 01:27 PM
Bob G

"Jenny Rizzo" wrote in message
It seems that these are very sensitive plants. I have one that recently
flowered, but the leaves turned spotty, brown and wilty. (I know not to

get
the leaves wet.) I changed the location of the plant, it seems to be

doing
better (no more brown leaves). However, I'm concerned about the part of

the
stem of the plant where I removed the dying/dead leaves. I added soil to
the top (to try to keep it straight), but it's still leaning. Nearly all

of
the leaves had to be removed. Do you think this plant is beyond saving?

hope not. There are new leaves coming up, but the plant is still leaning.

Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.

How much water and light are you providing?

Old 04-03-2003, 12:08 AM
Jenny Rizzo

It's about 2 feet from a window that faces west (so I guess partial sunlight
part of the day). I water it when it looks dry (dirt moves in from the
outer edge of the pot) -- about once a week.

Old 04-03-2003, 02:28 AM
Bob G

"Jenny Rizzo" wrote in message
It's about 2 feet from a window that faces west (so I guess partial

sunlight
part of the day). I water it when it looks dry (dirt moves in from the
outer edge of the pot) -- about once a week.

1. You are probably underwatering. You might try keeping it slightly moist.
2. A west window in winter is not enough light. East or south would be
better, otherwise use artificial light.
3. Use a pebble tray to increase humidity.

Old 04-03-2003, 03:39 AM
Jenny Rizzo

Thank you Bob!
I have moved it to a window facing east, will keep it moist and get a pebble
tray. The plant has sentimental value, and I don't want to loose it!

Jen

Old 04-03-2003, 05:52 AM
jammer

On Tue, 04 Mar 2003 03:34:04 GMT, "Jenny Rizzo"
wrote:

I have moved it to a window facing east, will keep it moist and get a pebble
tray. The plant has sentimental value, and I don't want to loose it!

Jen

Well if it doesnt get better, move it back, because mine love the west
window all year long.
zone7A
·.·´¨ ¨)) -:¦:-
¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
jammer
((¸¸.·´ ..·´
-:¦:- ((¸¸

Old 04-03-2003, 02:03 PM
Bob G

"Jenny Rizzo" wrote in message
Thank you Bob!
I have moved it to a window facing east, will keep it moist and get a

pebble
tray. The plant has sentimental value, and I don't want to loose it!

OK Jen, best of luck. Let me know how it works out.

Here's a website I think you'll like.
http://www.rachelsreflections.com/

Also be sure to check out the AV forum at:
http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/afrviolet/

Old 04-03-2003, 04:15 PM
Monique Reed

Moving the plant to more light may make it not lean any farther in the
future, but it will not make any long, bare stem already present go
away. If the plant has sentimental value, root a leaf or two and start
yourself some clones. Leaves from the center of the plant work best,
rather than lower leaves. Snipa leaf, dust the end with rooting
powder, pot in moist medium, drape a plastic bag over the pot. Keep
moist but not soggy. Be patient. In time a new crown will form.

M. Reed
Old 04-03-2003, 06:39 PM
Bob G

"Monique Reed" wrote in message
Moving the plant to more light may make it not lean any farther in the
future, but it will not make any long, bare stem already present go
away. If the plant has sentimental value, root a leaf or two and start
yourself some clones. Leaves from the center of the plant work best,
rather than lower leaves. Snipa leaf, dust the end with rooting
powder, pot in moist medium, drape a plastic bag over the pot. Keep
moist but not soggy. Be patient. In time a new crown will form.

M. Reed

How long do you keep the plastic bag on?

Old 04-03-2003, 08:16 PM
Monique Reed

The bag can come off when you have new little leaves coming up.

M. Reed