Old 24-07-2006, 06:37 PM posted to sci.bio.botany
CAP CAP is offline

Default Need help with identifcation - wild plant in NE Ohio

Can anyone help me idetify the wild plant pictured at
http://www.putfile.com/cpal
(the first 5 photos - Plant 1--5).
I live in Northeast Ohio. I find it in my wooded
backyard every year in a broad area near a fence,
springing up after the trout lilies and spring beauties
have passed. White bell-shaped flowers and broad pointed
leaves. Bright red berries in the fall.
Old 24-07-2006, 06:53 PM posted to sci.bio.botany

CAP wrote:
Can anyone help me idetify the wild plant pictured at
http://www.putfile.com/cpal
(the first 5 photos - Plant 1--5).
I live in Northeast Ohio. I find it in my wooded
backyard every year in a broad area near a fence,
springing up after the trout lilies and spring beauties
have passed. White bell-shaped flowers and broad pointed
leaves. Bright red berries in the fall.

Looks like "Lily of the Valley" or Convallaria.

-Philip
Old 24-07-2006, 07:37 PM posted to sci.bio.botany

Lucky you! Those beauties won't grow in my neck of the woods!

M. Reed, Texas

Old 24-07-2006, 07:53 PM posted to sci.bio.botany

I spent April and May, two months between Dobermans with nothing to do,
taking photos of Central Ohio weeds as they flowered

http://home.att.net/~rhhardin/weed.html

one of which was Lily of the Valley

http://home.att.net/~rhhardin5/w40.jpg (April 30)

Being a bicycle commuter, it was easy to do. You just had to remember
what wasn't there the day before, and take a photo.

The Lily of the Valley was gone a week later, victim of a township
berm-trimming program.

Previous Doberman Annie http://home.att.net/~rhhardin/annie.html
Current Doberman (pup) Vicki http://home.att.net/~rhhardin/vicki.html

are more interesting to me, though, so weeds are on hold for another
decade.

--
Ron Hardin

Old 25-07-2006, 12:27 AM posted to sci.bio.botany

In article , Philip Wright
wrote:
CAP wrote:
Can anyone help me idetify the wild plant pictured at
http://www.putfile.com/cpal
(the first 5 photos - Plant 1--5).

Looks like "Lily of the Valley" or Convallaria.

Indeed. What's more you got one that grows sideways. What a rarity!

Roger

Old 25-07-2006, 12:42 AM posted to sci.bio.botany

In article ,
Roger Whitehead wrote:
In article , Philip Wright
wrote:
CAP wrote:
Can anyone help me idetify the wild plant pictured at
http://www.putfile.com/cpal
(the first 5 photos - Plant 1--5).

Looks like "Lily of the Valley" or Convallaria.

Indeed. What's more you got one that grows sideways. What a rarity!

lol.

Note that it's not a native plant -- it's Eurasian in origin. It can
be a bit invasive if it finds a nice partly shaded area to choke
everything else out of. It spreads by underground structures -- in a
botany group I'm afraid to call them runners, since they might be
technically something else!

Old 25-07-2006, 02:28 AM posted to sci.bio.botany

In message ,
writes
In article ,
Roger Whitehead wrote:
In article , Philip Wright
wrote:
CAP wrote:
Can anyone help me idetify the wild plant pictured at
http://www.putfile.com/cpal
(the first 5 photos - Plant 1--5).

Looks like "Lily of the Valley" or Convallaria.

Indeed. What's more you got one that grows sideways. What a rarity!

lol.

Note that it's not a native plant -- it's Eurasian in origin. It can
be a bit invasive if it finds a nice partly shaded area to choke
everything else out of. It spreads by underground structures -- in a
botany group I'm afraid to call them runners, since they might be
technically something else!

You may be referring to rhizomes. To me runners are aboveground
structures (stolons), but that might be division by a common language.

The distinction between rhizome and stolon seems not be completely cut
and dried, as I've found Sidalcea candida to produce one or the other.
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley