Old 31-07-2008, 10:56 PM posted to sci.bio.botany,sci.agriculture

Default chokecherry question; How I come to love chokecherry

For years now I have complained about chokecherry as not being suitable
for canning and not suitable for harvesting since the fruit is so small
and pits so large and in fact poisonous if enough swallowed. So
chokecherry was on the borderline of practicallity.

So what changed my mind so abruptly? Well it is because I can utilize
the juice of chokecherry for other canned fruits and then save the
mashed up chokecherry, put in refrigerator and use my mouth and tongue
to separate out the pits. Carry around a small spittoon and so fully
utilize the cherry in the chokecherry.

If you ever seen the juice of chokecherry it is very pretty purple-red.

And the flavor of chokecherry is a good cherry flavor. So when sour
cherries are not available, chokecherry is a good substitute. And they
are easy to pick and easy to prep.

However I have a question about picking chokecherry. Maybe someone knows
what this is. The chokecherry come in what I call "drupes of fruit". And
I noticed on some drupes as if a whitish appearance, sort of like a
spider type webbing. Maybe it is some worm type webbing. It seems to
cover an entire drupe of chokecherries.

So what is this whitish film on chokecherries? Anyone know?

Archimedes Plutonium
www.iw.net/~a_plutonium

Old 08-08-2008, 07:49 AM posted to sci.bio.botany,sci.agriculture

Several days ago I wrote:

However I have a question about picking chokecherry. Maybe someone knows
what this is. The chokecherry come in what I call "drupes of fruit". And
I noticed on some drupes as if a whitish appearance, sort of like a
spider type webbing. Maybe it is some worm type webbing. It seems to
cover an entire drupe of chokecherries.

So what is this whitish film on chokecherries? Anyone know?

Picking some chokecherries today I took a closer examination of the
problem
and it is some sort of caterpillar silk. Maybe those tent caterpillars
for I noticed
some a distance away.

Archimedes Plutonium
www.iw.net/~a_plutonium