Old 11-08-2008, 01:14 AM posted to sci.bio.botany

Default South African wildflowers

Hello folks,

I've just returned from a couple weeks in South Africa, and have posted
photos at http://flickr.com/photos/mmmavocado/...7606625479692/

Please have a look if interested, and if those of you more knowledgeable
than I of the identities of some of these plants, I'd surely appreciate
your comments/corrections/completions.

Malcolm Manners
Old 12-08-2008, 02:27 AM posted to sci.bio.botany

photos athttp://flickr.com/photos/mmmavocado/sets/72157606625479692/

Please have a look if interested, and if those of you more knowledgeable
than I of the identities of some of these plants, I'd surely appreciate
your comments/corrections/completions.

Malcolm Manners

You are well aware of how difficult it is to ID a plant from a photo,
and probably the folks on Flikr from SA will do much better than I.
I'm absolutely sure of only one: the one you ID as a Disa and express
surprise at finding blooming in August is in fact Disperis capensis.
Right family, wrong genus. Nice photo. The Oxalis is probably
purpurea, but I bet you already knew that. Same with Ferraria crispa.
Wouldn't even try any of the lithops, altho the area around
Vanrhynsdorp is one of my favorites.
Old 12-08-2008, 02:52 AM posted to sci.bio.botany

clay_tiller wrote:
[...]

Thanks Clay. I'll change the Disa label to Disperis.